Initiative fear spurs developer to sweeten L.A. Arena deal
- Risk reduction. // ENR: Engineering News-Record;09/01/97, Vol. 239 Issue 9, p21
Reports on L.A. Arena Co.'s offer to guarantee shortfall in city revenues necessary to cover the city's obligations for a proposed sports and entertainment project in Los Angeles, California.
- California. Berkman, Leslie // Bond Buyer;08/29/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30220, p57
Reports on Los Angeles, California Councilman Joel Wachs' campaign for a public vote on taxpayer-financed professional sports halls in the city. Negative impact on a proposed $250 million downtown arena; Details on the financing the project.
- L.A. councilman and sports arena proponents spar over `iron-clad' repayment guarantee. Berkman, Leslie // Bond Buyer;09/03/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30222, p30
Reports that Los Angeles, California Councilman Joel Wachs has held off on his initiative that might stop a downtown sports arena. Time for project proponents to deliver guarantees for repaying $70 million of bonds and other public financing; Plan drawn up by the LA Arena Co. to make up for...
- L.A. Council passes finance ordinance, clearing the way... Berkman, Leslie // Bond Buyer;10/29/97, Vol. 322 Issue 30262, p30
Reports on the approval of a key ordinance by the Los Angeles City Council, clearing the way for construction of a sports arena for the Lakers basketball and Kings hockey team. Status of the ordinance confirming development and financing accords; Guarantee given by the developer LA Arena...
- L.A. councilman faces mayor's opposition on call for voter approval on arena deal. Berkman, Leslie // Bond Buyer;09/08/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30225, p2
Reports on Los Angeles, California Mayor Richard J. Riordan's opposition to Councilman Joel Wach's call for voter approval in spending public fund on professional sports buildings. Proposal to build a downtown arena; Rally and press conference held by supporters of the downtown arena; Estimated...
- Otis Chandler reloads in trying times. // Editor & Publisher;12/11/99, Vol. 132 Issue 50, p4
Reports on former `Los Angeles Times' newspaper publisher Otis Chandler's protest against the newspaper's profit-sharing deal with Staples Center. Chandler's November 3, 1999, letter to publisher Kathryn M. Downing; Background on the increase in the newspaper's advertising revenue.
- Gay 'fragmentation' hit by Stevenson; Wachs accepts bid. // Advocate;9/15/71, Issue 68, p1
Focuses on the efforts Los Angeles City Councilman Joel Wach to address the issue concerning the protection of the gay people in the 1971 Metropolitan Church meeting in California. Acceptance of the gays in the society; Reduction of police harassment cases; Protection of human rights.
- 'Penis tax' spoof arouses L.A. councilmen to wrath. // Advocate;8/18/71, Issue 66, p3
Reports on the 'penis tax' proposal of Councilman Joel Wachs in Los Angeles, California. Eligibility for a tax refund; Agenda of the revenue taxation committee hearings; Reaction of councilmen to the joke of Wachs.
- L. A. CANDIDATE WACHS LAUNCHES CAMPAIGN. // Advocate;1/31/73, Issue 104, p9
Reports on the launching of the mayorial candidacy of Los Angeles City Councilman Joel Wachs in California. Political agenda of Wachs; Introduction of Wachs to the Greater Los Angeles press club by actor Charlton Heston; Financial source of Wachs for the campaign.