Many surprises for UK team in Skill Olympics
- Let's muster up the courage to say it: Olympics should be abolished. Chase, Alston // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;02/16/98, Vol. 27 Issue 34, p13
Talks about the reasons why the Olympics should be abolished. Failure of organizers to make the Nagano Winter Olympics environmentally benign; Intrusion of the downhill ski course into the habitat of an endangered species; Competition over money rather than ideology; Loss of the Olympics'...
- The Olympics: Already a memory. Tatum, Wilbert A. // New York Amsterdam News;8/10/96, Vol. 87 Issue 32, p10
Editorial. Comments on the significance of the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia to Blacks. Performance of Black athletes; McDonald's commercial of a Black child at the starting blocks for a race.
- Atlanta Centennial Olympics: A made for television event. Harris, Jaime C. // New York Amsterdam News;8/10/96, Vol. 87 Issue 32, p46
Looks at commercialism and the exploitation of athletes during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia. Discrimination and errors in the coverage by the National Broadcasting Co.; Changes in the airing of boxing matches due to the victory of the Cuban boxers; Airing of sensational happenings.
- The Olympic pipe dream. Tomasky, Michael // New York;8/12/96, Vol. 29 Issue 31, p16
Opinion. Offers some reasons why New York City should not compete to host the Summer Olympic Games of 2008. Urging and boosterism for hosting the Games coming from Dan Doctoroff; The primary reason against the Games being spiritual, rather than financial; Why Atlanta and the commercialism of...
- What do the Arctic Winter Games mean to you? // Hub (Hay River, NT);12/14/2011, Vol. 39 Issue 42, p4
The article presents the view of several residents from the Northwest Territories (N.W.T) regarding the importance of the Arctic Winter Games.
- Reconceptualizing Legacies. // Journal of Sport Management;Sep2012, Vol. 26 Issue 5, p452
An abstract of the 2011 "Journal of Sport & Tourism" article "Developing a Framework for Evaluating Olympic and Paralympic Legacies," by T.J. Dickson, A.M. Benson, and D.A. Blackman is presented.
- Bad press. Kennedy, Kostya; O'Brien, Richard // Sports Illustrated;8/19/96, Vol. 85 Issue 8, p36
Quotes negative headlines from newspapers around the world regarding the lack of success of their countries' Olympic teams in 1996. Headlines from Great Britain, Japan, India, Egypt, and Mexico.
- THIS SPORTING LIFE. Carrol, Steve // Ecologist;Sep2000, Vol. 30 Issue 6, p44
Criticizes the way environmentalists view the Olympics. Ideals of Olympics which environmentalists oppose; Discussion on Western society's move to marginalize masculinity; How Olympics became the avenue of men to protest their marginalization; How should environmentalists view Olympics.
- Olympic medals as an indicator of social welfare. Butter, Frank A.G. Den; Van Der Tak, Casper M. // Social Indicators Research;May95, Vol. 35 Issue 1, p27
Examines the relationship between the amount of medals won at the Olympic Games and various welfare indicators. Analysis of the results of the Olympic Games in Barcelona, Spain and Seoul, South Korea; Authors' observation that medals won correlate strongly with income as well as with more...