NUJ tries novel tactic in Irish press dispute
- Dispute over firing ends in closure of three Irish papers. Harman, Alan // Editor & Publisher;7/15/95, Vol. 128 Issue 28, p15
Reports that three newspapers published by Irish Press Newspapers Ltd. (IPN) were suspended due to a dispute over the firing of a reporter. Firing of group business editor Colm Rapple; Financial difficulty of IPN; Liquidation of the company; Layoff of workers.
- Ingersoll's Irish group accepts $1.36 million deal to end legal action. Harman, Alan // Editor & Publisher;12/2/95, Vol. 128 Issue 48, p13
Reports that Ingersoll Irish Publications has accepted $1.36 million in a deal to end its legal actions to recover $6.4 million in loans it had made to Irish Press companies. Withdrawal of the receiver to Irish Press Newspapers (IPN); Sale of IPN's assets.
- Plans for press court opposed. A.P. // Editor & Publisher;03/29/97, Vol. 130 Issue 13, p13
Reports on the opposition of Nigerian Union of Journalists to government plans for a special press court that would try media members accused of putting out inaccurate reports.
- Don't mourn, organise. // New Statesman & Society;9/2/94, Vol. 7 Issue 318, New Statesman Guide to... p42
Comments on the National Union of Journalists' holding of a virtual reality committee in June 1994. Impact of communications technologies on working practice; Time and cost savings in using NUJnet, the union's electronic communication system; Impressions of union members of the capability of...
- Police forces probed over press call charges. // Public Finance;09/13/96, p7
Presents the complaint lodged by the National Union of Journalists (NUJ) with the Independent Committee for the Supervision Standards of Telephone Information Services (ICSTIS). Reason for the complaint; Reaction from NUJ general secretary John Foster.
- Writers Pen a New Chapter. Blodgett, Nancy // Progressive;Dec84, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p15
Reports on the decision of Chicago, Illinois free lance writers to join the National Writers Union. Reason behind the writers' decision; Bad experiences of the journalists in writing for the weekly newspaper, 'The Reader'; History of the union; Services provided by the writers' union to members.
- United they struggle. // Accountancy;Jun86, Vol. 97 Issue 1114, p55
Reports on the financial status of the National Union of Journalists in Great Britain as of June 1986. Decrease of net assets; Increase in total expenditure.
- Labor pains in suburbia. Magnuson, Robert // Columbia Journalism Review;Jan/Feb1982, Vol. 20 Issue 5, p12
This article discusses efforts by a group of reporters at the newspaper News Chronicle in Thousand Oaks, California to actively work in support of News Media and Graphic Communications Union Local 773. On September 29, 1980 began the bitter, year-long battle to unionize the News Chronicle, an...
- French journalists strike. // Quill;Dec96, Vol. 84 Issue 10, p8
Reports that French unions for journalists has called a one-day strike against the French government's plan to scrap the tax break given to journalists and other professions.