Uncle Sam no longer has his hand out
- D.C. Judge Rules Controversial AIDS Insurance Law Constitutional. Walter, Dave // Advocate;10/28/86, Issue 458, p22
Reports on the constitutionality of an AIDS insurance law in Washington, D.C. Barring of insurance companies from using HIV antibody test results to deny coverage or false rates for the period of five years.
- Termination of comp benefit ruled constitutional. // Business Insurance;3/17/2003, Vol. 37 Issue 11, p12
Presents developments related to legal issues in the U.S. health insurance sector as of March 17, 2003. Constitutionality of the statute terminating workers' compensation benefits when the employees qualify for Social Security retirement benefits; Accidental death benefits for death caused by...
- Requests for amendments to PHI. Fitzgerald, Walter L. // Drug Topics;11/17/2003, Vol. 147 Issue 22, p54
Focuses on the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act in the U.S. Importance of a covered entity to allow a patient to request an amendment; Need to maintain the patient's request; Information contained in the patient's written statement.
- COBRA and tax implications of domestic partner coverage. Carlson, Glenn W.; Goodwin, Susan E. // Employee Benefits Journal;Jun93, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p6
Examines the COBRA and tax implications of domestic partner coverage and the criteria for the domestic partner as well as exclusion clause according to the Tax Code. Additional tax for employee covering a domestic partner; Income tax withholding and reporting; Avoiding repeat taxation for...
- House GOP passes health insurance reforms. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);May96, Vol. 50 Issue 5, p5
Reports on a package of health insurance reforms passed by the United States House of Representatives in late March 1996 which included the Healthcare Financial Management Association's (HFMA) health care administrative simplification principles. Provisions to use tax exemptions to encourage the...
- Senate passes insurance reform. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Jun96, Vol. 50 Issue 6, p5
Reports on the United States Senate's passing of a reform bill that resolves certain issues surrounding health insurance. Banning of pre-existing condition exclusions; Guarantee of insurance portability; Tax breaks for long-term care expenses; Increase in the tax deduction for self-employed...
- Insurance portability act passed. // hfm (Healthcare Financial Management);Sep96, Vol. 50 Issue 9, p9
Reports on the August 2, 1996 passage of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 by the Congress. Sponsors of the bill; Main points of the bill; Compromise on medical savings accounts.
- Swiss opt for compulsory health insurance. Dorozynski, Alexander // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);1/7/95, Vol. 310 Issue 6971, p11
Reports that Swiss voters have approved a new legislation to set up a nationwide health insurance system. Determination of insurance through actuarial risk rather salary; Participation in health maintenance organizations; Support by the Federal Council to the new law.
- Diabetes insurance bill becomes law. // Long Island Business News (7/1993 to 5/2009);8/9/93, Vol. 40 Issue 32, p32
Reports on Governor Mario Cuomo's signing into law of a bill which expands health insurance coverage for persons with diabetes in Long Island, New York. Sponsoring legislators; Statistics on people with diabetes and high risk population; Diabetes as cause of blindness; Provisions of the bill;...
- House, Senate set for showdown on health reform. Fisher, Mary Jane // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;3/25/96, Vol. 100 Issue 13, p14
Reports on the differences between a health insurance reform bill and the Kassebaum-Kennedy Senate bill. Employers support of Health Care Reform Act; Comments made.