School's hiring practices are questioned after student is murdered
- New Director for Ohio State's CETE. // Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers;Apr2002, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p8
Focuses on the appointment of Monika Kosmahl Aring as the director of the Center on Education and Training for Employment in Columbus, Ohio. Professional background; List of languages spoken; Reason for accepting the position.
- PEOPLE. // School Administrator;Jun2002, Vol. 59 Issue 6, p50
Presents updates related to several school appointments in the U.S. as of June 1, 2002. Mary Frances Callan as superintendent of Unified School District in Palo Alto, California; John Erickson as superintendent of public schools in Vancouver, Washington; Don Knezek as chief executive officer of...
- Atlanta, Denver boards win votes of confidence. Sandham, Jessica L. // Education Week;11/12/97, Vol. 17 Issue 12, p7
Looks at the results of the board election in Denver, Colorado and Atlanta, Georgia. Information about the winners in the board elections; Their comments on the elections; Information on local ballot referendums featured in the off-year elections.
- Selecting a technology designer. Day, C. William // American School & University;Sep97, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p46
Provides pointers on how to select the right technology designer that will assist the school in integrating technology to various academic activities. Definition of a specialist; Compatibility of the school staff and the hired designer.
- PEOPLE. // School Administrator;Jan2004, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p42
Reports on the selection and appointments of several school superintendents in the U.S. as of January 2004. Steve Adams at the Highland and Midway school districts in Doniphan County, Kansas; Maria L. Goodloe in Charleston County, South Carolina; Lisbeth A. Johnson at the Santee School District...
- Misfire. Rosenfeld, Emmet // Teacher Magazine;Jan2000, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p52
Deals with the Praxis Series test in line with the examination of how teachers are hired in the United States with regards to their shortage as of January 2000. Criticisms and arguments for the Praxis Series; Main reason behind the teacher shortage; Requirement that should be imposed on people...
- Slaying casts spotlight on job screening. Johnston, Robert C. // Education Week;05/28/97, Vol. 16 Issue 35, p1
Examines flaws in school employment policies in the United States, as illustrated in the hiring of custodian Alex Del Thomas who allegedly killed senior Michelle Montoya in Rio Linda, California. Questions on how Del Thomas was able to hid his 1986 manslaughter conviction from the Grant Joint...
- A single police record from your past could be the undoing... // Curriculum Review;Nov97, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p4
Reports that on the increasing number of districts, potential employees are facing mandatory background checks in the United States. Three types of background searches which are commonly employed to screen school hires; States that require schools to run all three types of checks on new...
- Teacher supply: how the Rumsfeldian model is coming along. Waterman, Chris // Education Journal;5/31/2013, Issue 165, p8
The article looks on some potential problems in teacher supply in Great Britain. It mentions the difference about the pattern of initial teacher training (ITT) from September 2013. The ITT strategy proposed a new system called school direct, in which it allows schools to control access to...