English as a basic skill needs to be promoted
- Is the shoe no longer fits, wear it anyway? Warner, Ann L. // English Journal;Sep93, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p76
Discusses the issue of grammar instruction in the elementary and secondary grades. Teachers' sense of the futility of teaching grammar and composition; Sequential levels of cognitive development; Negative correlation between grammar study and motivation; Reasons for continually teaching...
- Studying formal grammar. // English Journal;Dec96, Vol. 85 Issue 8, p54
Presents excerpts from the article `English Grammar and the Thinking Process,' by Lois Saunier Bertling, published in the December 1946 issue of the periodical `English Journal.' Dominance of voices protesting the continued teaching of grammar; Prevailing of the interest of the few who enjoy...
- Getting the wrinkles out: Students become their own editors. Steinlage, T.M. // English Journal;Sep90, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p60
Describes a method of teaching grammar through editing in a high school English class. Personal sharing.
- News TEACHER'S GUIDE Vol. 84 No. 6, October 26, 2015. // Scholastic News -- Edition 5/6 (Teacher's Edition);10/26/2015, Vol. 84 Issue 6, pT1
The article presents a lesson plan which discusses close reading related sections, summary checklist and an exercise on grammar.
- Welcome to the shoe store? Vavra, Ed // English Journal;Sep93, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p81
Discusses alternatives which can integrate the teaching of grammar with the teaching of both writing and reading. Grammar instruction and study as a constant source of frustration for teachers and students; Author's establishment of the Association for the Teaching of English Grammar;...
- ...such bitter business--this `rule' on prepositions. Spear, Michael M. // Journalism & Mass Communication Educator;Winter99, Vol. 53 Issue 4, p77
Discusses a rule on the use of prepositions that prohibits the writer from using prepositions at the end of sentences. Tendency of some teachers to allow using prepositions at the end of sentences; Reaction of students; Views of journalists and writers; Awkwardness of using prepositions at the...
- Labeling for form and function. Streed, John // English Journal;Sep93, Vol. 82 Issue 5, p85
Proposes a system for labeling words and groups of words in teaching grammar. Structural linguistics; Breaking a sentence into its constituent parts and labeling the parts according to form and function; Author's description of her method in teaching grammar to ninth- and twelfth-graders;...
- Middle Talk. Engel, Melissa J.; Close, Elizabeth // English Journal;Mar2001, Vol. 90 Issue 4, p105
Presents an article on teaching English grammar and usage to middle level students. Method of instruction; Ways for assessing students' learning.
- UTILIZATION OF NEWS ARTICLES IN ENGLISH GRAMMAR TEACHING. ÖZKAN, Yonca // Trakya University Journal of Social Science;Jun2015, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p49
Most teachers teach grammar in EFL context as was recommended in textbooks with little relevance to the grammar employed in authentic texts. By focusing purely on form, meaning is neglected. This study was conducted with freshmen students from the ELT Department of Cukurova University in Turkey...