US wakes up to `power sharing'
- Time to stand Maslow's hierarchy on its head? Wooldridge, Ewart // People Management;12/21/95, Vol. 1 Issue 25, p17
Opinion. Argues that individuals need some radical thinking if they were to bridge the widening gap between the rhetoric of empowerment and the increasingly uncertain and fruitless reality of work. Interpretation of Abraham Maslow's theories; Impact of the organisational shake-outs of the past...
- Take me to your (personnel) leader. Fonda, Nickie; Rowland, Hilary // People Management;12/21/95, Vol. 1 Issue 25, p18
Explains the advantages that empowerment can bring. Reasons why empowerment is still a concept more talked about than practise; Example of empowerment; Suggestions for an empowered personnel function. INSET: How empowered is your personnel function?..
- Improving employee empowerment. Hildula, Leslie // CPA Journal;Jan1996, Vol. 66 Issue 1, p70
Discusses employee empowerment and what this entails. Why communication must be improved; Benefits to company and employee; Principles of employee empowerment; Five suggestions to influence interpersonal communication skills improvement.
- Keys to empowering employees. Sorohan, Erica Gordon // Training & Development;May95, Vol. 49 Issue 5, p12
Presents Hawthorn Suites director of marketing and operations services Sue Gordon's tips in ensuring the positive impact of empowerment training on employees. Need for managers' commitment to empowerment through participation in the training; Showing employees how they help improve the bottom...
- Empowerment--from buzzword to process. Ritchie, Brian // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Office Edition;Jan97, Vol. 42 Issue 1, p8
States that modern thinkers agree that empowerment is critical in improving productivity and results. Defining the concept in a strategic plan; Why levels of organization should be involve in the process; How managers and organization can quickly cripple the empowerment process.
- The `E' word. Stone, Florence // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Office Edition;Feb97, Vol. 42 Issue 2, p2
Discusses the downside of employee empowerment. Manager's excuse for failure to manage performance; Empowerment without authority; Euphemism for work harder; Implication for unempowered employees.
- The responsibility alignment form. // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Plant Edition;Mar97, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p4
Describes the Responsibility Alignment Form, which is designed to help employees understand responsibilities that define empowerment. Factors which may cause empowerment failure; Categories that define employee partner responsibilities.
- Understanding and using empowerment to change... Mallak, Larry A.; Kurstedt, Harold A. // Industrial Management;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 38 Issue 6, p8
Presents information on the utilization of understanding, and empowerment of employees as a tool to promote organizational culture. Definition of empowerment; Differentiation between participative management, and empowerment; Importance of empowerment.
- Empower employees and revitalize your business. Kiesow, Paul // Ceramic Industry;Jun95, Vol. 144 Issue 6, p18
Gives advice on employee empowerment. Trust in employees; Removing fear of failure; Motivation; Creating teams; Importance of openness to fundamental change; Leader's role in empowerment.