Learning lessons about motivation
- Teacher competencies: What is the role of foundations of education? Drummond, Robert; Stoddard, Ann // Journal of Instructional Psychology;Jun90, Vol. 17 Issue 2, p65
Discusses the role of foundations of education in teacher competencies in Florida. Preparation of preservice teachers; List of generic competencies required of beginning teachers; Comparison of foundation items by level of teaching.
- Uproar in Massachusetts. // State Legislatures;Sep98, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p10
Reports on the uproar of teachers in Massachusetts regarding the results of a qualification test administered to them. Percentage of teachers who flunked the test; Solutions proposed to address the problem.
- Calif. basic-skills test for teachers upheld. Ponessa, Jeanne // Education Week;9/25/96, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p5
Reports on a district court ruling that the basic-skills test required of California teachers does not violate the civil rights of minority test-takers. Features of the test; Complaints against the test; Features of the modifications made by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- Teacher evaluations. Hightower, Paul // Contemporary Education;1998, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p111
Presents information pertaining to the evaluation of teachers. Information on the use of student rating in evaluating teachers; Forms of student rating; Views of two individuals on student rating of teachers.
- Capacity building in systemic reform. Floden, Robert E.; Goertz, Margaret E. // Phi Delta Kappan;Sep95, Vol. 77 Issue 1, p19
Presents a framework as an aid in shaping reforms addressing the issue of enhancing teacher capacity. Dimensions of capacity; Strategies for capacity building; Using assessment to convey vision and guidance; Building capacity through networks.
- How I confronted HSPS (Hyperactive Superficial Principal... Marshall, Kim // Phi Delta Kappan;Jan96, Vol. 77 Issue 5, p336
Presents information on how Kim Marshall, principal of the Mather Elementary School in Boston, Massachusetts, evaluated his teaching staff, so that he and others could get along together. How he went about evaluation; Where he got his ideas; Traits that characterized his supervisory practices;...
- Teacher Quality Online. // District Administration;Apr2003, Vol. 39 Issue 4, p11
Reports on the online rating system of the teachers in California. Evaluation of teachers' experience; Development of the Teacher Quality Index.
- Don't fool with incompetent teachers. Waintroob, Andrea R. // Education Digest;Oct95, Vol. 61 Issue 2, p36
Reports on the evaluation of incompetent teachers. Denial reaction of incompetent teachers; Difficulty by school administrator to write direct negative evaluations; Negative effects of grade inflation; Use of a case-to-case basis on the remediation process; Rules on the remediation and...
- Are you on the cutting edge? Cook, Jimmie // Teaching Pre K-8;Apr94, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p28
Suggests that teachers need to constantly evaluate their value--not in dollars, but to the children they teach. How the author considered leaving the classroom for higher education; Job dissatisfaction; Seeking diversions; Maintaining enthusiasm for teaching.