The technical aspects of being a widow
- An Assessment of the Wealth Holdings of Recent Widows. Zick, Cathleen D.; Holden, Karen // Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences & Socia;Mar2000, Vol. 55B Issue 2, pS90
Examines the wealth holdings of recent widows. How they compare to those of married couple households; Potential to use the wealth to augment the incomes of widowed women; Relationship between widowhood and wealth; Wealth holdings among the widowed; Valuation of wealth holdings in the...
- Making financial decisions after a spouse dies. Tigges, Laura // Women in Business;Jan/Feb98, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p37
Recommends four basic steps to surviving spouses before making any financial decisions after the other spouses. Making an inventory of all assets; Making contacts with companies handling the assets; Contacting your attorney; Contacting a financial adviser.
- A financial to-do list for the recently widowed. Alderman, Jason // Ellis County Press;3/15/2012, Vol. 20 Issue 49, p3
The article offers tips for people who lost spouses on how to handle finances and ensure financial security.
- Minister stonewalls on widowers' pensions. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);11/14/1981, Vol. 283 Issue 6302, p1346
Focuses on the investigation of possible schemes for providing widower's pensions. Review of the whole range of survivor benefits; Entitlement to widower's pension; Criticism on the Secretary of State.
- Playing the yield. Goodwin, Andy // Money Marketing;3/14/2002, p82
Presents suggestions that will help a widow to look for stable level of income with medium and low-risk investments. Importance of temporary annuity; Advantage of secondhand endowments; Use of some money encashed from the share portfolio for an immediately-vesting stakeholder plan.
- Inherited debts justify bankruptcy. Halverson, Guy // Christian Science Monitor;12/21/98, Vol. 91 Issue 18, p16
Answers two financial questions. Advice for a widow who assumed her husband's debts; What viatical settlements are and why they should be avoided.
- For widows, financial ignorance can be painful. Byfield, Mike // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;09/29/97, Vol. 24 Issue 42, p18
Reports that in the fall of 1997 the Royal Bank of Canada is being flooded by older Albertans who do not how know to cope with financial tasks after a spouse dies. The problems the widows are facing; Amount of the population that is properly prepared for when a spouse dies.
- Wealth Management for Recent Widows and Widowers. Rose, Mitchell // On Wall Street;Dec2006, Vol. 16 Issue 12, Special section p14
The article discusses the financial uncertainties and its management faced by widows and widowers. Widows and widowers' tasks that involves financial decisions are prioritized according to those that need to be addressed immediately, those that can wait for the next few months, those that can be...
- You be the Judge. Schorr, José // Saturday Evening Post;7/28/1956, Vol. 229 Issue 4, p88
The article deals with a 1954 court case in Nebraska regarding the property left by a husband to his wife for use during her lifetime. Before the husband died, he told his wife that his nephews would receive any balance when she died. However, the widow began her spending spree when her husband...