Fabrication negotiations open between PLCA and UA
- Languages. // Monkeyshines on America;Sep97 Territories Issue: Guam, p17
Presents information about languages in Guam. Principal languages spoken by state inhabitants; Origin of Chamorro, the local language of Guam; Other foreign languages spoken in the state.
- Languages of the world. // World Almanac for Kids;1996, p124
Highlights the leading languages of the world. Information about the number of native speakers of each language featured; Languages including Mandarin, Arabic and French.
- Languages of the world. // World Almanac for Kids;1998, p123
Presents a chart showing the world's most-spoken languages, as of 1996. Statistics on number of native speakers of Mandarin Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, English, Bengali, Arabic, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese, German, French, and Malay-Indonesian.
- Those oppressed Welshmen. Frey, Rod // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;4/19/93, Vol. 20 Issue 18, p29
Comments on the `Robin Hood Foundation--Welsh American Twm Sion Cati Red Dragon Legal Defense and Education Fund's' efforts to prohibit six news organizations from using the word `welsh.' Definition of `welsh' according to the `Oxford English Dictionary.'
- How to speak medtalk. Arbetter, S. // Current Health 2;May92, Vol. 18 Issue 9, p24
Explains the Greek and Latin root words, prefixes and suffixes used in medical terminology. Cites many examples such as the prefixes `anti,' `a' or `an,' `hyper' and `hypo.' Suffixes including `itis,' `otis,' `osis,' `pathy' and `ectomy'; Root words such as `neuro,' `derma' and `cardio';...
- Is there such a thing as language? Bar-On, Dorit; Risjord, Mark // Canadian Journal of Philosophy;Jun92, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p163
Looks at the view that there are no natural languages. Donald Davidson's `A Nice Derangement of Epitaphs'; Support for Davidson's belief from Bjorn Ramberg in `Donald Davidson's Philosophy of Language: An Introduction'; The issue of whether a participant of the Davidsonian program is committed...
- Haircuts in Hanoi require a few more words of Vietnamese. Napier, Nancy // Christian Science Monitor;11/22/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 254, p12
Presents the experience of the American author in communicating with Vietnamese Barbers using Vietnamese.
- World without metaphor. Fichter, N.S. // Design for Arts in Education;Mar/Apr91, Vol. 92 Issue 4, p2
Considers art as a language phenomenon, rich in its culture-bearing, culture-forming propensities. The belief in an appreciation of an ever-widening vista of literacies with cultural parity, multi-cultural diversity; Potential richness of computer technology in school curricula as part of...
- `Talkin' white.' Aponte, W.L. // Essence (Essence);Jan1989, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p11
Examines the misconception that speaking grammatically correct English makes some blacks `less black.'