Discrimination lawsuits spawn new industry
- Suits by public entities expected to increase. McLeod, Douglas // Business Insurance;10/18/99, Vol. 33 Issue 42, p1
Reports on the increasing lawsuits filed by public entities against business enterprises in the United States concerning workers' insurance. Court trials on occupational injuries; Target industries of government-sponsored lawsuits; Suspected motivations behind government-sponsored lawsuits;...
- Ruling fails to clarify coverage-trigger issue. Adams, Cal // Business Insurance;12/04/2000, Vol. 34 Issue 49, p36
Focuses on 'trigger of coverage' issue in insurance litigation in the United States. Occurrence of property damage; Determination of the provision of liability coverage.
- Too much quarreling. Murray, Michael L. // CPCU Journal;Winter93, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p195
Editorial. Recommends ways for reducing the cost in settling lawsuits dealing with personal injuries and other controversies involving the United States insurance industry. Need to simplify the litigation process; Complaint over the discovery process; Cases which should not go to courts;...
- Blue Cross Accused of Fraudulent Scheme in Cancellation of Health Insurance Policies. // Insurance Broadcasting;11/7/2013, p1
The article reports on litigations filed against Blue Cross over fraudulent scheme in cancellation of health insurance policies.
- Is sex-change spouse covered by health insurance? // HR Specialist: Employment Law;Jul2012, Vol. 42 Issue 7, p5
The article looks into the decision of the U.S. court in the case, Radtke v. Miscellaneous Drivers and Helpers Union, on health insurance coverage.
- Legal Briefs. // HR Specialist: New Jersey Employment Law;Nov2011, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p3
The article offers news briefs related to legal cases in the U.S., the termination of Innova Health employee Dina Sotille after requesting for the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and the rejection of the case filed by Jong Pak for unemployment compensation.
- Court Went Beyond 4 Corners. // Insurance Advocate;10/14/2002, Vol. 113 Issue 39, p14
Discusses the U.S. Supreme court case Town of Massena vs. Healthcare Underwriters Mutual Insurance Co. Allegations of Dr. Olof Franzon, who had previously brought a suit against Massena Memorial Hospital, that the hospital had made false statements about him; Purpose of the town's declaratory...
- Asbestos Reserves Pose Re Challenges. Angelina, Mike; Biggs, Jenni // National Underwriter / Property & Casualty Risk & Benefits Manag;9/2/2002, Vol. 106 Issue 35, p25
Focuses on asbestos litigations in the U.S. Increase in the number of claims and awards; Adequacy of insurance protection; Evaluation of an insurer's or reinsurer's potential liabilities; Measurement of asbestos exposure; Identification of coverage at risk.
- Another $6 Million Dent. // Automotive Marketing;Mar2001, Vol. 30 Issue 3, p6
Reports the lawsuit filed by the auto insurance policy holders against Country Companies in the United States. Cause of the dispute between policy holders and the insurance company; Coverage of cash parts under the settlement; Concern over generic crash parts.