A fertile grounding
- Gifford Pinchot: The first American forester. Peterson, Robert W. // Boys' Life;May94, Vol. 84 Issue 5, p34
Part V. Profiles Gifford Pinchot, who was appointed the first American-born professional forester in 1890. His work with John Muir in surveying western forests; Their differing views about the aims of conservation; US Forest Service.
- ECONOMICS. // America;1/22/1910, Vol. 2 Issue 15, p404
An excerpt from a speech about special interests affecting forest reform delivered by U.S. Chief Forester Gifford Pinchot is presented.
- Gifford Pinchot: Walrus of the Forest. Weber, Sandra // Highlights;Aug2005, Vol. 60 Issue 8, p34
Profiles the late Gifford Pinchot, first chief of the U.S. Forest Service. INSET: The Forest's Friend.
- Pinchot for Expansion. // Time;3/10/1923, Vol. 1 Issue 2, p19
The article discusses the suggestions of Pennsylvania Governor Pinchot on the use of state funds to solve educational problems in the state.
- Has Gifford Pinchot's Regulatory Vision Been Realized? Ellefson, Paul V. // Journal of Forestry;May2000, Vol. 98 Issue 5, p14
Reports on Gifford Pinchot's regulatory vision of private forest practices in the U.S. Pinchot's decision to take up the cause of federal regulation; States' responsibility in overseeing forest practices; Legalistic administrative processes. INSETS: Desirable Attributes of a Forest Practice...
- What Might Pinchot Say Today? // Journal of Forestry;May2000, Vol. 98 Issue 5, p20
Assesses what Gifford Pinchot might say regarding forest policy in the U.S. in the year 2000. Wide scope of regulatory programs that affect forest practices on private land; Administration of regulatory programs.
- SAF and its History Steen, Harold K. // Journal of Forestry;Aug1975, Vol. 73 Issue 8, p458
No abstract available.
- CHAR MILLER ON GIFFORD PINCHOT, PHOTOGRAPHER. // Environmental History;Apr2003, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p312
Reports on the art works of photographer Gifford Pinchot in the U.S. Documentary of travels in words and on film; Importance of forestry and foresters to the conservation of natural resources; Understanding of conflicted political context.
- Governor Pinchot's New Problem. // America;10/13/1923, Vol. 29 Issue 26, p615
The author commends the efforts of Pennsylvania Governor Gifford Pinchot to close 1,300 saloons selling beer and his cooperation with federal officers to keep these establishments closed in 1923. He notes that many men see no reason why they cannot refresh themselves with beer occasionally and...