US court ruling halts affirmative action schemes
- Affirmative action onslaught persists. Jones, Joyce; Smith, Eric L. // Black Enterprise;Aug98, Vol. 29 Issue 1, p22
Reports on the efforts of congressional Republicans in the United States to eliminate federal affirmative action. Removal of affirmative action provisions by attaching amendments to reauthorization bills; Failure of US Representative Charles Canady to fulfill the party's objective; Provisions...
- Save the melting pot. // Christian Science Monitor;6/14/95, Vol. 87 Issue 139, p20
Editorial. Reviews the likely restriction of the affirmative action programs in school, hiring, and contract signing by the White House and the Supreme Court. Implications; Suggestions to White House advisers and congressional revisionists; Fears of end to advancement for blacks, minorities...
- Is affirmative action in America's interest? Symons, Joanne L. // Executive Female (0199-2880);May/Jun95, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p52
Reports that some affirmative action programs are in danger of being abolished by the federal government. Principles of affirmative action; Importance of fairness in employment.
- Affirmative action 101: What the lingo means. Feldmann, Linda // Christian Science Monitor;7/25/95, Vol. 87 Issue 167, p3
Focuses on the issue of affirmative action. View of the people from different fields; Effect of the Californian universities' decision to discard race and gender based admissions programs; Political turmoil in Washington over the issue; Details of the presidential report on affirmative action.
- Clinton's focus on diversity. Cooper, Matthew // U.S. News & World Report;3/20/95, Vol. 118 Issue 11, p35
Discusses President Bill Clinton's campaign promise to recruit woman and minorities for top jobs in the hope of making the government a model off gender, ethnic and racial diversity. How he now finds himself struggling to defuse the growing opposition to gender and racial preferences, without...
- Anti-affirmative action bill moves ahead. // Black Issues in Higher Education;08/21/97, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p13
States that an anti affirmative action bill that would prohibit the United States government from discriminating against and granting preferences to individuals based on race, sex or national origin is gaining momentum in the House of Representatives. Bill sponsored by Representative Charles...
- DOD affirmative action move causing concern among minority firms. Guinther, Fred // Electronic News;10/30/95, Vol. 41 Issue 2089, p46
Comments on reaction of minority-led distributors and other electronics companies are examining developments in the wake of actions by the Department of Defense (DOD). The DOD's suspension of the so-called `rule of two' set aside contract programs for `small disadvantaged businesses';...
- Affirmative action on the edge. Roberts, Steven V.; Thornton, Jeannye // U.S. News & World Report;2/13/95, Vol. 118 Issue 6, p32
Examines how the increasingly angry debate over the role of gender and race in America could change the way institutions allot benefits, business and jobs, and help the Republicans unseat President Bill Clinton in 1996; How affirmative action goes against cherished American principles; Critics...
- Have anti-affirmative action mavens lassoed President Clinton? Browne, J. Zamgba // New York Amsterdam News;4/22/95, Vol. 86 Issue 16, p37
Views the changing attitude of US President Bill Clinton towards affirmative action. Difference in Clinton's statement on affirmative action.