Unions tackle their own management
- Workers' Education in a British University. Halstead, John L. // Labor Studies Journal;Winter80, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p214
The article discusses the education system for workers under the Trade Union Congress in the universities of Great Britain. Sheffield University's origin in Firth College was part of the university extension movement. The development of higher education in a variety of non-university...
- Workers' Education in Manchester. Brown, Joyce; Campbell, Alan // Labor Studies Journal;Winter80, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p226
The article discusses the gradual development in the education system of labor in Manchester, Great Britain under Trades Union Congress, Workers' Educational Association (WEA) and the Manchester Area Safety Committee. There was cooperation between the Manchester University and the WEA from the...
- Training champions. Crush, Peter // Human Resources (09648380);Sep2009, p54
The article focuses on the help of Unionlearn, a division of the Trades Union Congress (TUC) to other unions to render or broker access to learning for employees in 2009 in Great Britain. It cites the desire of Unionlearn to train up 22,000 union learning representatives (ULRs) by 2010. However,...
- Improving literacy and numeracy in the workplace. Wilson, Tom // Literacy Today;Jun2010, Issue 63, p13
The article reports on the results of the study conducted by the University of Leeds on the success of union-lead activities of workers and employees under the Unionlearn, learning and skills arm of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), in Great Britain. Two-thirds of the 415 employers surveyed...
- What is Union Learning for? What have we learnt from the past 10 years? Swift, Judith // RaPAL Journal;Winter2012/2013, Vol. 79, p24
The article offers the author's insights on the Trades Union Congress (TUC) skills and learning organisation Unionlearn. The author says that Unionlearn assists more than 60 unions in offering learning opportunities for the trade union members, focusing on Maths and English education. She states...
- TUC achieves IIP. // People Management;07/24/97, Vol. 3 Issue 15, p9
Reports that the Trade Union Congress has won Investors in People status at the training and enterprise council conference in 1997.
- U.K. group warns against shorting DC plans. Payne, Beatrix // Pensions & Investments;4/1/2002, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p3
Focuses on the efforts of Trades Union Congress to keep occupational pension plans in Great Britain. Importance of implementing shared responsibility between employer and employee; Effect of an inadequacy in the provisions in the government policy; Terms of the final salary defined benefit scheme.
- TUC launches new guide to dyslexia in the workplace. // Basic Skills Bulletin;3/24/2014, Issue 154, p3
The article reports on the publication of "Dyslexia in the Workplace: A TUC Guide," by Brian Hagan, from the Trades Union Congress (TUC), which addresses dyslexia in the workplace.
- Pay packets in south-west England fall by 10%. Silvera, Ian // Employee Benefits;6/11/2013, p7
The article reports on the decline in the total pay packet of south west England since 2007, according to a research by the Trades Union Congress (TUC).