`Could do better' is verdict of research
- NEW MEXICO: City Layoffs. Victory, Darren // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p37
Reports on an announcement by the mayor of Albuquerque, New Mexico Martin Chavez to eliminate 14 city government jobs. Reasons cited for retrenchment; Budget deficits faced by six government departments; Proposals to raise revenue.
- WISCONSIN: Downsizing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31333, p29
Reports on retrenchment of employees in the Wisconsin state. Reason for the dismissal of employees; Efforts of the state to avoid tax increases to balance the budget.
- Unfair dismissal claims rise 90% over nine years. Thatcher, Mike // People Management;08/24/95, Vol. 1 Issue 17, p9
Reports the increase in the number of unfair dismissal considered by industrial tribunal in Great Britain. Explanations for the increase; Problems surrounding unfair dismissals that takes place after a business transfer.
- An issue for discussion, whatever the numbers. Howlings, Judith // People Management;07/11/96, Vol. 2 Issue 14, p51
Examines the legal obligations in relation to small-scale redundancies and individual consultation. Difference between collective and individual consultation; Considerations before letting the staff go; Factors to consider regarding the pool of selection.
- Adding to the agony. Hunter, Ian // People Management;01/22/98, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p23
Offers advice to employers regarding handling redundancies in Great Britain. Potential claims of employees relating to redundancy; Ways for employers to minimize risk of unfair dismissal; Making of selection procedure fair; Notification of employees in advance on the proposed redundancies;...
- Unplugged: One man's battle to get plug back in. Wolner, Dan A. // Business Credit;Jun97, Vol. 99 Issue 6, p38
Opinion. Examines the impact of downsizing and reorganization in business enterprises, focusing on the author's experience on being terminated from a company. Details of the experience; How the termination affected himself and family members; how the author coped; Details on what he did after...
- How to fire a family member. Mennen IV, William G. // Business News New Jersey;05/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p18
Focuses on firing of a family member employee. Importance of having the rights reasons for firing; Making business expectations clear; Separation from familial expectations.
- Employee dismissals costly in many European countries. // Corporate Board;May/Jun92, Vol. 13 Issue 74, p28
Details findings of William M. Mercer Inc.'s study of European Community (EC) countries which shows widespread requirements for mandatory termination benefits. Comparison between Italy and Ireland's termination payment policies for a 45-year-old middle manager; Countries having difficulties...
- Sometimes a bad employee really needs to be fired. Schmitt, Joseph R. // Contractor Magazine;Aug96, Vol. 43 Issue 8, p16
Offers advice on dismissing a poorly performing employee. Documentation of the employee's bad performance; Issuance of a final warning in writing; Talking with dismissed employees through post-severance interviews; Legalities of firing an employee; Treating the employee with respect, compassion...
- Fairfiled County HR challenged by weak economy. Mariani, Dominic // Fairfield County Business Journal;1/28/2002, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p18
Reports on the result of a study on the major layoffs of companies in Fairfield County, Connecticut. Combination of large organizations together; Implementation of performance management system; Provision of professional and support staffing for permanent and temporary personnel.