Asda may extend 24-hour opening
- Germany debates shelving law that makes shops close early. Walker, Ruth // Christian Science Monitor;6/18/96, Vol. 88 Issue 142, p7
Focuses on federal debates on Germany's Ladenschluss or shopping-hours law. Possible liberalization as a test of the German system's capacity for reform; Exceptions to the shopping-hours law; Effect of increasing shopping hours on the nation's retail trade; German consumers' contentment with...
- Spain limits store hours. // Advertising Age;1/3/1994, Vol. 65 Issue 1, p33
Reports on the provisional decree law passed by the Spanish Cabinet on retailer's store hours. Protection of small stores unable to compete with larger competitor's longer hours; Authority given to Spain's 17 regional governments.
- Closing law: Still open to heated debate among retailers. Boughton, Kristina // Caribbean Business;8/15/1996, Vol. 24 Issue 32, pS14
Discusses the provisions of the Closing Law, a law implemented to allow department stores and general merchandise retailers in Puerto Rico to open on Sundays. Conditions regarding employee benefits; United Retailers Association's stance on the law; Violations of Closing Law by Walgreens.
- Rossello signs Closing Law amendment. Ryan, Frances // Caribbean Business;8/22/1996, Vol. 24 Issue 33, p17
Reports on Puerto Rico Governor Pedro Rossello's signing of the Closing Law regulating store hours among establishments at the 1996 annual convention of the United Retailers Association. Provisions under bill; Gasoline retailers' disappointment over Rossello's lack of comment on pending...
- Sunday opening splits retail sector in Greece. // Regional Today;7/14/2014, p3
The article reports that the Federation of Private Employees (OIYE) and small enterprises are opposing the decision of Greece's trade ministry to permit retail stores in certain areas to operate on Sundays beginning July 2014.
- More on the Sunday-Law Struggle. Drinan, Robert F. // America;1/9/1960, Vol. 102 Issue 14, p408
The article focuses on the rejections of the protests against Sunday-closing laws that prohibits commercial sale during Sunday, in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. A corporation in Pennsylvania has sought injunction on the enforcement Sunday law but three judges of Federal Court of Pennsylvania has...
- Relaxed Sunday trading will hurt indies. Ward, Martyn // Grocer;9/15/2012, p24
The article reports on the concern regarding the plan of the British government to extend the Games-based relaxation of Sunday Trading laws to allow bigger supermarkets to continue to open late on Sundays.
- Movie drive at Asda outlets. // Marketing Event;Jun2000, p8
Offers a look at the retail-tainment program, a drive-in movie event at Asda stores. Comments from Marketing Store Worldwide managing director Catherine Shuttleworth.
- Union criticises Asda for cutting Sunday wages. Littlefield, David // People Management;11/16/1995, Vol. 1 Issue 23, p8
Argues about the supermarket chain Asda's changing of the wages of its Sunday workers. Actions taken by General, Municipal, Boilermakers (GMB) union against Asda; Various comments regarding the issue; Reason why Asda staff have welcomed flexible contracts.