Asian tigers poised to race ahead
- The region: Asia. Balch, Roger // Asian Business Review;Apr96, p8
Presents economic news items in Asia for April 1996. Includes Adam le Mesurier's forecast of Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) members' economic collapse; Doubling of Taiwanese investment in Vietnam; Predicted overtaking by Asia of Western Europe as the most popular destination of...
- The movers and the shakers. // Asian Business Review;Dec96, p31
Profiles the most influential figures in the economic sector in the Asia-Pacific region in 1996. Estimated net worth of former commodity trader Robert Kuok; Role of Datu Tajudin Ramli in turning the fortunes of Malaysian Airlines; Businessman Rupert Murdoch's efforts to bring cable television...
- The region: Asia. // Asian Business Review;Mar1997, p10
Reports on economic developments in Asia. Includes implications of Canada's chairing of the Asia Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) on free trade; Best performing stock indices in 1996; Introduction of Federal Express' comprehensive tariff database for all products in all APEC countries.
- Consumer watch. // Asian Business Review;Mar1997, p18
Presents statistics concerning Asian markets. Total number of retail outlets; Per capita consumer spending; Retail outlet density; Total population by country; Per capita consumption of soft drinks in Hong Kong.
- Consumer watch. // Asian Business Review;Apr97, p16
Presents a graphical representation guide to Asia's markets. The Asia average household size by country; Southeast Asia's percentage growth in confectionery sales by volume 1991-1995; Asia's total number of households by country; More information.
- Asian crisis helps us understand real and potential crisis in our own businesses. Carr, Reo // Business Journal Serving Fresno & the Central San Joaquin Valley;06/22/98, Issue 322319, p26
Editorial. Discusses various lessons learned from the Asian economic crisis that can be applied to businesses. Significance of complying to the right rules; Consequences of crony capitalism; Characteristics of an effective leader; Positive effects of competition.
- The rising East. Halloran, Richard // Foreign Policy;Spring96, Issue 102, p3
Focuses on the economic condition of Asia. Foreign economic relationship with the United States; History which culminates the Asian renaissance; Several types of revolutions undergone; Generations of leaders in Asia; National interests of the United States in Asia.
- Tigers and chameleons. Jacques, Martin // New Statesman & Society;06/14/96, Vol. 125 Issue 4288, p28
Discusses the lessons that Europeans can learn from Asia's tiger economies. Toy Blair's visit to Japan and Singapore; Key role of the government in the transformation of an economy; Question of history; Role of the state as a chameleon; Internationalism of tigers.
- From the Editor. Dubinsky, Alan J. // Journal of Personal Selling & Sales Management;Winter98, Vol. 18 Issue 1, preceding p1
As this issue of JPSSM goes to press, the financial situation in many Asian countries is in a free fall. The major culprits of this economic cataclysm putatively are misfeasance, malfeasance, nepotism, cronyism, naivete, inadvertence, venality, and abject ineptness, among others. The economic...
- Vultures poised to swoop again on Asian markets. Garrity, Brian // Investment Dealers' Digest;03/09/98, Vol. 64 Issue 10, p9
Presents information on the praying on of the Asian economy by foreign companies seeking to exploit the weakened economic conditions. Mention of the the attractiveness of the Hong Kong market; Identification of which areas offer the best likely return on investment; Reference to United States...