Universities rejoin the neighbourhood watch
- Bringing Back the Neighborhoods. Bingler, Steven; Blank, Martin; Berg, Amy // American School Board Journal;Oct2007, Vol. 194 Issue 10, p25
The article focuses on the role of community schools in rebuilding the school system of New Orleans, Louisiana. Community schools unite schools and the community to focus on academics, enrich opportunities for students and services for removing barriers to learning. A planning process is already...
- Science Matters in Kansas City. // NSTA Express;10/4/2010, p4
The article offers information on a community event "Science Matters,"co-hosted by the National Science Teachers Association (NSTA), WGBH and Kansas City Public Television, to be held at the Kansas City Convention Center, Kansas on 30 October, 2010.
- Mentors contribute their time and money. // Curriculum Review;Nov92, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p20
Reports on the schools and organizations reaching out to their local business and professional communities for mentors to spend quality time with inner-city youths. Success of the Cornerstone Schools project in Detroit in asking the communities for donations and their recruitment of mentors;...
- On strengthening the arts community's commitment to arts education. Bellack, R. // Design for Arts in Education;Nov/Dec90, Vol. 92 Issue 2, p2
Reviews the historic place of artists and art institutions in helping to establish the arts as part of the core curriculum in schools as well as critical political and economic issues that currently confront the arts community.
- Community Schools. Tester, Nick // Education Journal;Jan2003, Issue 66, p15
Reports on the British government's plans for a network of 'extended schools' offering community information and health services on site. Generation gap between young learners and councilors; Call for an annual national campaign to bolster community schools; Need for more emphasis on outreach...
- Aboriginal culture part of new school's curriculum. Ross, Matt // Saskatchewan Sage;Nov2002, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p13
Focuses on the provision of high quality academic program and incorporation of First Nations and MÃ©tis culture in the curriculum of Sakewew high school in North Battleford, Saskatchewan. Number of students enrolled at the school; Affirmation of the identity of students through educational...
- Neighborhood-school gains not realized, study finds. Gamble, Cheryl // Education Week;10/02/96, Vol. 16 Issue 5, p6
Reports that promises to make the Oklahoma City schools return to neighborhood schools after years of court-ordered busing have failed to materialize. Disputed claims.
- Pressure for community schools grows as court oversight wanes. Hendrie, Caroline // Education Week;06/17/98, Vol. 17 Issue 40, p23
Focuses on trends associated with community based schools in the United States during 1998. Benefits of this type of school system; Comments from Gary A. Orfield, a professor of education and social policy at Harvard University; Significance of strong public support for integrated education.
- WMLI links business, educational endeavors. VanderVeen, Don // Grand Rapids Business Journal;7/31/95, Vol. 13 Issue 31, pB-1
Focuses on the business connections of the West Michigan Learning Initiative (WMLI). History; Partnering with Butterworth Hospital to incorporate learning technologies in course work; Conversation excerpt with F. van Edgerton on his goals and objectives as director of WMLI.
- Focus on art in the community. Wheeler, K. // Arts & Activities;Apr92, Vol. 111 Issue 3, p39
Expresses the belief that school artwork should be displayed in the community at large. Explains how the author, an art teacher in Nederland, Colo., convinced local restaurants and other businesses to display her students artwork. Budget cuts versus the value of art; The local banks' `Student...