- Commission to tackle pay issues. // People Management;8/29/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 17, p9
Reports on the plan of British local government employers and unions to set up a joint commission to discuss pay and related issues in a bid to improve industrial relations in the public sector. Motivation behind the plan; Concerns of the unions; Issues that want to be addressed by employers.
- The Mythology of Labor Contract Rejections. Shair, David I. // Labor Law Journal;Feb70, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p88
This article examines the apparent rise in the rate of contract rejections by union membership. The rash of rejections, no matter how characterized, cannot be understood without taking account of technological changes; the transition of the work force from predominantly blue to white-collar; the...
- Court Renders Decision in Case of U-T Pressroom. Rodrigues, Tanya // San Diego Business Journal;9/3/2001, Vol. 22 Issue 36, p6
Reports the court decision on the Union-Tribune Publishing Co. case in San Diego, California. Complaints filed against Union-Tribune by Graphic Communications Union Local 432M; Violation of the National Labor Relations Act; Details of the judgment; Impact of the decision on the pressroom...
- Lonmin FTAR appointments. Henning, Joop // Finance Week;6/1/2005, special section p13
Reports that the United Association of South Africa structure at Lonmin PLC increased from one full-time association representative (FTAR) to five FTARs.
- Union Shop Authorization Polls: An Historical Re-examination. Devinatz, Victor G. // Labor Law Journal;Dec91, Vol. 42 Issue 12, p821
The article traces the history of union shop authorization polls in the U.S. It has been approximately 40 years since union shop authorization polls were required under the Taft-Hartley Act. On October 22, 1951, section 9(e) of the Taft-Hartley Act was amended, removing the requirement that a...
- Building trade unions form alliance to push for reforms. // Westchester County Business Journal;10/19/98, Vol. 37 Issue 42, p24
Reports on the establishment of an alliance by the various trade unions in Hudson Valley, New York under the name President's Council of the Hudson Valley Building Trades. Council members; Offered services.
- On Labor Day, L.V. unions mark their strengths. Cruz, Sherri // Las Vegas Business Press;09/01/97, Vol. 14 Issue 35, p1
Focuses on the cooperation between trade-unions and hotel management in Las Vegas, Nevada. Comment by Vincent Eade, associate professor at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas; Features of the cooperation clause in the collective bargaining agreement between unions and hotels in the city;...
- Sociology. BLAKELY, PAUL L. // America;12/25/1926, Vol. 36 Issue 11, p262
The author reflects on labor relations and labor unions. She says that employers should embody the characteristics of a businessman who treats his workers as human beings and invite them into his family's Christmas ball. She stresses that labor unions should represent the interests of employees...
- Guild, BNA reach tentative pact. // Editor & Publisher;5/14/94, Vol. 127 Issue 20, p16
Reports on the terms of a three-year agreement reached by the Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild and the Bureau of National Affairs (BNA). Health benefits for workers' unmarried domestic partners and stronger job security guarantees; Wage and bonus increases.