College lecturer wins landmark racial slur case
- College lecturer wins landmark racial slur case. Thatcher, Mike // People Management;7/27/1995, Vol. 1 Issue 15, p6
Deals with the industrial tribunal case filed by Alan Bryans, an Irish lecturer at Northumberland College, who suffered racial discrimination. Material used by Bryans to prove his allegation; Statistics involving Irish people who filed a case on racial discrimination; Other cases filed related...
- More British abortions for Irish women. Payne, Doug // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);01/09/99, Vol. 318 Issue 7176, p77
Reports on the increase in the number of Irish women travelling to Great Britain for terminations of pregnancy. Legal status of abortion in the Republic of Ireland; Liberal attitudes of Irish women; Action taken by the Irish government on the issue.
- Am I an Irishwoman? // New Statesman;10/9/2006, Vol. 135 Issue 4813, p62
An excerpt from an article originally printed in the November 5, 1965 issue is presented. The author questions whether an Irish-Englishwoman who was raised in England and cannot pronounce most of the town names in Ireland can be an Irishwoman. While feeling a pull to her ancestral country, the...
- Arriving Irish seeing green. Medina, David // Crain's New York Business;6/10/96, Vol. 12 Issue 24, p38
Reports on the growing number of Irish men and women who have resettled and have made successful businesses in New York City. Factors behind the influx of Irish men and women to the city; Network of support and economic power built by Irish communities in the city; Example businesses; Rate of...
- Ireland's finest exports. Hughes, Jane // Newsweek (Pacific Edition);05/25/98 (Pacific Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 21, p38
Comments on the Irish in London, as of spring 1998. Captivation of the British with Irish culture; Estimate of the number of Irish immigrants working in London's financial district, with its high starting salaries; Impact of politics and economics on attitudes toward the Irish.
- Ireland's finest exports. Hughes, Jane // Newsweek (Atlantic Edition);05/25/98 (Atlantic Edition), Vol. 131 Issue 21, p30
Comments on the Irish in London, as of spring 1998. Captivation of the British with Irish culture; Estimate of the number of Irish immigrants working in London, England's financial district, with its high starting salaries; Impact of politics and economics on attitudes toward the Irish.
- Audiovisual review: Films & videos. Sullivan, Edward T. // School Library Journal;Nov97, Vol. 43 Issue 11, p65
Reviews the videotape `The Irish in America,' from A&E Television Networks.
- Closets full of bones. Quinn, Peter A. // America;2/18/1995, Vol. 172 Issue 5, p10
Comments on the impact of immigration on the white race. Call for international cooperation to deal with population crisis; History of eugenics in the United States; Effects of the Famine Irish immigration; Inferiority of the Irish race.
- Atlanta banks rejecting more black loans: Report. // Jet;3/6/89, Vol. 75 Issue 22, p8
Reports that Atlanta blacks are rejected two to four times more often than Whites by banks for home loans.