Unfair dismissal claims rise 90% over nine years
- NEW MEXICO: City Layoffs. Victory, Darren // Bond Buyer;1/22/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31308, p37
Reports on an announcement by the mayor of Albuquerque, New Mexico Martin Chavez to eliminate 14 city government jobs. Reasons cited for retrenchment; Budget deficits faced by six government departments; Proposals to raise revenue.
- WISCONSIN: Downsizing. Shields, Yvette // Bond Buyer;2/27/2002, Vol. 339 Issue 31333, p29
Reports on retrenchment of employees in the Wisconsin state. Reason for the dismissal of employees; Efforts of the state to avoid tax increases to balance the budget.
- An issue for discussion, whatever the numbers. Howlings, Judith // People Management;07/11/96, Vol. 2 Issue 14, p51
Examines the legal obligations in relation to small-scale redundancies and individual consultation. Difference between collective and individual consultation; Considerations before letting the staff go; Factors to consider regarding the pool of selection.
- Adding to the agony. Hunter, Ian // People Management;01/22/98, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p23
Offers advice to employers regarding handling redundancies in Great Britain. Potential claims of employees relating to redundancy; Ways for employers to minimize risk of unfair dismissal; Making of selection procedure fair; Notification of employees in advance on the proposed redundancies;...
- Test your termination IQ. Eidson, Christy // Across the Board;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p62
Presents questions to guide a manager when firing an employee. Significance of a witness in terminating an employee.
- T.G.I.F. Eidson, Christy // Across the Board;Nov/Dec98, Vol. 35 Issue 10, p63
Discusses the timing of firing an employee. Effect on firing during Friday afternoons; Ideal schedule of terminating an employee.
- Unplugged: One man's battle to get plug back in. Wolner, Dan A. // Business Credit;Jun97, Vol. 99 Issue 6, p38
Opinion. Examines the impact of downsizing and reorganization in business enterprises, focusing on the author's experience on being terminated from a company. Details of the experience; How the termination affected himself and family members; how the author coped; Details on what he did after...
- How to fire a family member. Mennen IV, William G. // Business News New Jersey;05/25/98, Vol. 11 Issue 21, p18
Focuses on firing of a family member employee. Importance of having the rights reasons for firing; Making business expectations clear; Separation from familial expectations.
- Employee dismissals costly in many European countries. // Corporate Board;May/Jun92, Vol. 13 Issue 74, p28
Details findings of William M. Mercer Inc.'s study of European Community (EC) countries which shows widespread requirements for mandatory termination benefits. Comparison between Italy and Ireland's termination payment policies for a 45-year-old middle manager; Countries having difficulties...