The connection connection: What does it take to network the enterprise?
- Push 'em back. Sicilia, David B. // Inc.;1997 Inc. Technology 3, Vol. 19 Issue 13, p74
Focuses on the history of push technology. How variations on the concept go back more than a decade; The essence of push technology; The use of the telegraph as the medium for push technology of the past; The difference between the push technology of the 1800s and that of the 1990s.
- Internet milestones 1962-1999. // America's Network;04/15/99, Vol. 103 Issue 6, p24
Presents a brief history of the evolution of the Internet. Development of the idea of packet-switching by Paul Baran at the Rand Corporation in 1962; Invention of hypertext by Douglas Englebart of Stanford Research Institute in 1968; Development of UNIX at Bell Labs in 1972.
- Secrets of the super searchers. Basch, Reva // American Demographics;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p14
Discusses information retrieval or online searching. Importance of a reference review; Problems encountered by online searchers; Ten tips for searching.
- Data miners only strike fool's gold. Matthews, Robert // New Scientist;3/8/97, Vol. 153 Issue 2072, p8
Reports on the non-profitability of data mining for companies planning to increase profits. Extraction of market insights from records; Generation of data by sales of products; Success of data mining in academic research; Failure of computers to analyze raw data.
- Infrastructure to support secure remote network access. Yarborough, Bill // Telecommunications - Americas Edition;Oct97, Vol. 31 Issue 10, p31
Offers guidelines for infrastructure to support Internet access to corporate data stores for external customers. Planning needed for access facility; Detailed information on six separate facilities.
- Search business splinters. Haar, Steven Vonder // Inter@ctive Week;10/14/97, Vol. 3 Issue 21, p1
Reports that companies which offer services for searching on the Internet in the United States are coming under pressure from specialized search engines focused on narrow topics. Some of the service providers who have come under pressure; Comments from Greg Wester, Yankee Group research director.
- Backing up a necessity for going forward. Friedman, Amy S. // National Underwriter / Life & Health Financial Services;6/9/97, Vol. 101 Issue 23, p29
Focuses on the importance of backing up data. Comments from Dusty Huxford, president of Financial Support Incorporated of Oakland, Maryland; Suggestion for reducing loss of data; How to maintain a proper system of backing up.
- Text retrieval dreams. Hauser, Rick // CD-ROM Professional;Jun96, Vol. 9 Issue 6, p52
Discusses the prospects in full-text information retrieval. Text retrieval tenets for the corporate user; Market trends; Applications providing personalized news; Start-up companies.
- How to build and profit from data warehousing. Edwards, Morris // Communications News;Nov95, Vol. 32 Issue 11, p49
Considers how more organizations are turning to the concept of data warehousing in their quest to get the right information to the right people at the right time. Goal of data warehousing; Requirements; Architectural considerations; Approaches to data warehouse development.