Landmark deal could force cuts to services
- Council set to put check on overtime. // People Management;3/11/1999, Vol. 5 Issue 5, p14
Reports on the decision of the Oxfordshire County Council in England to restrict overtime payments, as of March 1999. Reasons behind the decision; Information on negotiations between trade-unions and staff regarding the issue; Actions taken by agencies and firms to comply with working time...
- An end to democracy on the cheap. Milne, Kirsty // New Statesman;07/31/98, Vol. 127 Issue 4396, p13
Discusses the salaries of local councillors in England. Details on the working style being pioneered by the Hammersmith and Fulham council; Amount of money which the Labour controlled boroughs of Camden and Haringey, London will be paid yearly; Requirements of the July 31, 1998 white paper on...
- Council faces legal challenge over cuts. // Community Care;4/18/2002, Issue 1418, p15
Reveals that Oxfordshire Council may face a legal challenge from public sector union Unison over its decision to vote for a package of cuts affecting vulnerable people on the England county. Potential grounds for a legal challenge; Components of the proposed cuts.
- Linda Sanchez in line for labor job. Cruz, Sherri // Orange County Business Journal;02/21/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 8, p3
Reports on the appointment of Linda Sanchez as head of the Orange County Central Labor Council in California. Replacement of incumbent head Bill Fogarty by the end of March 2000; Sanchez's plan of increasing organizing activity in the county; Background in labor union activism.
- Cumbria admits shortfall in equal award fund. // Personnel Today;5/9/2006, p2
The article reports that Cumbria, England's County Council, has admitted that money it had earmarked to cover a multi-million pound equal pay award will not be enough to meet its liabilities. An employment tribunal ruled in March 2006 that almost 3,000 care workers, cleaners and cooks were...
- Cheshire fees claim. // Building Design;4/12/2002, Issue 1528, p5
Reports on the allegations against the sacked members of the former Cheshire County Council architects department in England that the employees overcharged the council's own education department. Public-services union that is defending the rights of the redundant employees; Estimated bill for...
- Hospitality Union Organizers Target OC's New Hotels. Cain, Sandi // Orange County Business Journal;10/23/2000, Vol. 23 Issue 43, p13
Focuses on Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees Union's efforts to organize more hotel workers in Orange County, California. Challenge for local hotels; Goal of unionizing all the hotels in the county; Orange County Central Labor Council head Linda Sanchez's plan to run aggressive...
- Single status deal largely ignored by town halls. Day, Karen // Public Finance;
Reports on the ratio of councils in England and Wales implementing the historic single status agreement on pay and conditions six years after signing according to survey conducted by GMB union. Percentage of authorities failing to implement the agreement; Names of the local authority unions...
- Missed clause. Baderschneider, Earl // Supervisory Management;Nov93, Vol. 38 Issue 11, p6
Presents a sample case about a union proposal that would change the clause on bi-weekly pay to weekly pay. Employer's rejection of the proposal; Clause on weekly pay in the written document agreed upon after negotiations; Filing of grievance by the union; Arbiter's decision on the case.