Unions press on with mergers
- GPMU softens up members for merger. Grant, Alex // Printing World;5/19/2003, Vol. 282 Issue 6, p3
Reports on the plans of the Graphical, Paper and Media Union (GPMU) to merge with Transport & General Workers' Union in Great Britain. Fall in members in GPMU in 2002; Factors indicating that the merger with a bigger partner is the best way to safeguard and advance the interest of members;...
- Big labor and its urge to merge. // U.S. News & World Report;8/7/95, Vol. 119 Issue 6, p12
Focuses on plans of the United Auto Workers, the United Steelworkers of America and the International Association of Machinists to merge. How the new behemoth could breathe new life into organizing efforts; Other types of unions considering mergers.
- Competitors Find It Hard to Cooperate. Levine, Steven P. // Occupational Hazards;Nov2001, Vol. 63 Issue 11, p11
Focuses on the proposals for the consolidation of several professional associations in the United States. Advantages of the unification of the associations; Obstacles in the consolidation plans; Existence of rivalry for gross and net revenues of the associations.
- Trade bodes trigger merger speculation. // Marketing Week;9/19/2002, Vol. 25 Issue 38, p10
Reports that the Great Britain-based advertising and marketing trade groups Institute of Practitioners in Advertising, Marketing Communication Consultants Association and Public Relations Consultants Association are considering the possibility of merging. Appointment of consulting firm Boleat...
- Leather link okay. // Chemical Week;1/17/1996, Vol. 158 Issue 2, p6
Reports that the European Commission approved plans for Ciba and Huls to merge leather and fur chemicals. Where they would be merging to.
- What the papers say. // Education (14637073);4/5/2002, Issue 51, pN.PAG
Focuses on a conference of teacher unions in Great Britain as of April 2002. Details on the merger of three teacher unions such as the National Union of Teachers and the National Association of Schoolmasters/United Women Teachers; Information on an editorial that commented on the role of...
- MADISON COUNTY: Anderson sees largest drop in home prices nationwide. // Indianapolis Business Journal;12/18/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 42, p15
The article offers news briefs related to business developments in Anderson, Indiana. It is stated that the city has experienced a fall on its home prices by 6.05 percent, on a year-over-year basis at the end of September 2006. The former United Auto Workers Local 662 union hall has been...
- USW, two U.K. unions begin merger talks. Dawson, Brad // Rubber & Plastics News;4/30/2007, Vol. 36 Issue 20, p5
The article states that the United Steelworkers of America, along with the Amicus and Transportation & General Workers unions, signed an accord on April 18, 2007, in Ottawa, setting up a merger exploration committee tasked with laying down a foundation for a legal merger within one year. The...
- Union Merger Benefits: An Empirical Analysis. STRATTON-DEVINE, KAY // Journal of Labor Research;Winter92, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p133
The incidence of union mergers is on the rise, yet the determinants of the benefits of merging have never been systematically addressed. This article reports the results of research which identifies and validates five dimensions of union merger benefits.