National course credits sought
- 50 states, 50 standards? Ravitch, Diane // Brookings Review;Summer96, Vol. 14 Issue 3, p6
Focuses on the need for national voluntary standards in education in the United States. Effort to raise academic standards; Supervision of curriculum; Expectations in schools; Equal opportunity issues.
- Content groups' help sought in shaping standards council. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;5/25/94, Vol. 13 Issue 35, p8
Reports on plans to form the National Education Standards and Improvement Council as part of the Goals 2000: Educate America Act. National Educational Goals Panel as one of the four groups to submit nominations for membership on the council; Goals of the council; Comments from the goals panel...
- The School Improvers. Arnold, Ronald; Morton, Rosalind // Education Journal;Jan2003, Issue 66, p26
Presents a report on British local education authorities' (LEA) evaluation of the implementation of the School Standards and Frameworks Act. Studies conducted by the National Foundation for Educational Research and the Education Management Information Exchange; LEA advisory and inspection...
- Students' futures are on the line. Jensen, Kris // Las Vegas Business Press;07/27/98, Vol. 15 Issue 30, p5
Opinion. Focuses on the proposed academic standards for Nevada. Core basic skills; English Language Arts draft; Information versus knowledge; Accountability and expectations at each grade level.
- What Americans think. // Spectrum: Journal of State Government;Summer98, Vol. 71 Issue 3, p25
Offers the results of a survey by the Gallup Organization, regarding the views of Americans on national testing standards in education. Percentage of American who was in favor of and oppose a voluntary program which would assess performance of public schools, proposed by President Bill Clinton;...
- Remarks on national education standards. Clinton, William J. // Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents;6/16/97, Vol. 33 Issue 24, p848
Presents the statement of United States President on June 10, 1997 about the national standards for education. Announcement of the results from Third International Mathematics and Science Standards (TIMSS); American's excellence in math and science; Implementation of the balanced budget...
- Frontlines. Lindeman, Carolynn A. // Music Educators Journal;May97, Vol. 83 Issue 6, p6
Opinion. Comments on an advertisement in the print media, which used three children to explain how people can help raise standards in American schools. Sponsors of the advertisement; Results of a 1995 Public Agenda poll and a 1996 Coalition for America's Children poll; Information on the...
- 14-state reform project releases draft standards. Diegmueller, Karen // Education Week;11/22/95, Vol. 15 Issue 12, p1
Reports on the New Standards project, which aims to define and identify how well students meet high academic standards and to create a matching national examination in the United States. Number of copies of the draft documents to be distributed; Background of the project; Presentation of standards.
- `Which government should do what?'. Branson, Margaret S. // Education Week;6/05/96, Vol. 15 Issue 37, p40
Opinion. Comments on the movement towards the development of national education standards in eight core disciplines in the United States. Response of many Americans to the attention focused on teaching and learning; Criticisms against grass-roots support for national academic standards;...