The substantive legal angle
- Workplace harassment and the self-medication of distress: A conceptual model and case illustrations. Richman, Judith A.; Rospenda, Kathleen M.; Nawyn, Stephanie J.; Flaherty, Joseph A. // Contemporary Drug Problems;Spring97, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p179
Focuses on the influence of the workplace environment to alcohol and drug use. Predisposition of individuals in high anxiety states to alcohol self-medication; Prediction of alcohol outcomes among males with higher work demands; Role of social relationships in protecting individuals from...
- Drugs. // Youth Studies;Aug90, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p5
Focuses on a survey on drugs, alcoholism and unemployment of teenagers carried out for the National Campaign Against Drug Abuse taken from `SMH' dated June 8, 1990 and the `Age' June 8, 1990.
- Avoiding Problems in the Workplace. // Professional Safety;Nov2007, Vol. 52 Issue 11, p51
The article lists several practical steps that employers can take to avoid legal problems in implementing an effective drug-free workplace program including consulting a lawyer, ensuring the policy clearly stipulates the penalties for policy violations, and maintenance of records documenting the...
- Off premise drug use. // Plant Engineering;Nov2002, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p30
Focuses on the type of action that needs to be taken against an employee who has been arrested on a drug charge. Need to analyze the background of the employee.
- Erratum. // Social Forces;Mar96, Vol. 74 Issue 3, p1132
A correction to the article "The Impact of Drug Use on Earnings: A Life Span Perspective," that was published in the September 1995 issue is presented.
- Drugs in the workplace. Bahls, Jane Easter // HR Magazine;Feb1998, Vol. 43 Issue 2, p81
Discusses trends and issues of drug problems in the workplace. Figures presented by the US Department of Labor on employers' annual cost for drug use in the workplace; Findings of the studies conducted by various workplace drug agencies and institutes related to drug problems; Steps need to take...
- Drug-free workplaces offer insurance premium credits. Hager, Bill D. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;03/31/97, Vol. 7 Issue 24, p17
Focuses on the policy of several states to offer discounts to employers on workers compensation premiums if they implement certified drug-free workplace programs. Launch of voluntary programs with the discount incentive; Attempt to curb substance abuse in the workplace; Legal challenges to the...
- Upper management's frequent flier. James, David; Murrill, Maureen // BRW;11/26/99, Vol. 21 Issue 46, p23
Focuses on drug abuse in the workplace. Drug abuse's impact on workers.
- Stony reception for police chief's drugs initiative. Littlefield, David // People Management;9/7/1995, Vol. 1 Issue 18, p8
Looks at a chief police officer's suggestion that employers have a legal and moral responsibility to join battle against drugs. Comments of Dr. Ian Oliver, chief constable of Grampian region, on the issue; Overview of a survey of Confederation of British Industry (CBI) on employers tested for...