Civil service braces itself for delayering
- Downsizing Solution. Albanese, Elizabeth // Bond Buyer;2/17/2004, Vol. 347 Issue 31822, p37
Reports on the probable dismissal of city employees following the revenue deficit in Houston, Texas.
- U.S. VIRGIN ISLANDS. // Caribbean Update;Feb2012, Vol. 28 Issue 1, p21
The article reports on the decision of the U.S. Virgin Islands government to lay off employees amid the fiscal crisis in December 2011, according to Caribbean360.
- Cut the workers? Brown, Nathan // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;4/7/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 83, p4
The article presents a blog from enterprise staff writer Nathan Brown on layoffing employees in the municipal government.
- MN: State Government to Shut Down. // GPP eNews;6/17/2011, p4
The article focuses on the 36,000 layoff notices sent out by Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton to state employees in preparation of a government shutdown on July 1, 2011 due to the failed budget negotiations between Governor Dayton and the legislature.
- Corzine gets OK to furlough workers. Goldstein, Scott // njbiz;3/30/2009, Vol. 22 Issue 13, p9
The article reports on the decision of the New Jersey Civil Service Commission to provide Governor Jon S. Corzine with the authority to furlough state workers in March 2009. Two-days temporary layoffs for all state workers before July was proposed by Corzine during the March 25 meeting. State...
- Department of Energy Workforce Reduction: Community Assistance Can Be Better Targeted: RCED-99-135. // GAO Reports;5/7/1999, p1
Since 1993, the Department of Energy (DOE) has reduced its contractor workforce by 46,000 employees from a high of about 149,000. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1993 requires DOE to develop workforce restructuring plans to minimize the impact of downsizing at defense...
- Hartford Hunkers Down. Kaske, Michelle // Bond Buyer;9/8/2008, Vol. 365 Issue 32956, p9
The article reports on the consideration of several cost control measures by Mayor Eddie Perez in Hartford, Connecticut. Being prompted with a softening economy and less state and federal funding, Perez calls for hiring freezes, travel restrictions, reduction of vehicle use and conservation of...
- Industrial Analysis. Brown, Jerry // Minnesota Employment Review;Jan2011, p8
The article presents an industrial overview of Minnesota during 2010 including industries like mining, logging, construction and manufacturing. During December a loss of 800 jobs for financial activities was reported. The government employment fell by 5300 in December due to hiring of election...
- ILLINOIS: Layoffs on Hold, for Now. Shields, Yvetts // Bond Buyer;9/30/2009, Vol. 369 Issue 33192, p9
The article reports on the plan of Illinois Governor Pat Quinn administration to appeal a court ruling postponing layoffs that were to take effect in September 2009. Saline County Circuit Court Judge Todd Lambert issued a preliminary injunction temporarily blocking 500 layoffs in order to help...