Pregnant pause while Lords rethinks discrimination case
- Dismissed because of pregnancy. // Accountancy;Mar1992, Vol. 109 Issue 1183, p50
The article focuses on the ruling of the Court of Appeal of Great Britain in the case of Webb versus Emo Air Cargo Ltd. concerning the dismissal of Webb by Emo Air Cargo due to pregnancy. The question to be addressed by an industrial tribunal is whether a person would have been dismissed by the...
- The boss said she dressed like a bimbo... Chin, P. // People;10/10/88, Vol. 30 Issue 15, p73
Report on the sex discrimination claim and possible civil suit filed by Florida assistant state attorney Brenda Taylor, 25. Taylor claims she was fired for dressing `inappropriately.' Others say she was fired for shortcomings of substance. Case.
- The Land of the Really Free. // Insight on the News;10/30/2000, Vol. 16 Issue 40, p35
Highlights court cases on sexual discrimination in the United States. Decision on a sexual discrimination case filed by a couple; Asylum for a cross-dressing gay man from Mexico.
- GREAT MOMENTS IN CIVIL RIGHTS. Seligman, Daniel; de Llosa, Patty // Fortune;2/7/1994, Vol. 129 Issue 3, p162
Presents a report from the `BNA Daily Labor Report' which details a class-action lawsuit filed by Savino Latuga against the national restaurant chain Hooters. Latuga's allegations that the restaurant acted in a discriminatory fashion when it declined to hire him; Details.
- Recent legal decisions affect you. Barlow, Wayne E.; Hatch, D. Diane // Workforce (10928332);Apr97, Vol. 76 Issue 4, p102
Presents legal decisions on several court cases presented involving employees. Case of an employee retaliation and sex discrimination involving Darlene Walters and Metropolitan Educational Enterprises Incorporated; Case of fraud and misrepresentation to prospective employers involving victim...
- Continuing bias. Lissy, William E. // Supervision;Dec92, Vol. 53 Issue 12, p21
Presents a sample case on continuing bias on gender and religion harassment. Background information of the case; Why the state trial court dismissed the employee's lawsuit; The court's decision on the case.
- Minimize risk by investigating complaints promptly. Kobata, Mark T. // Personnel Journal;Feb95, Vol. 74 Issue 2, p38
Stresses the need for employers to develop and implement an effective method for employees to raise sexual harassment complaints and to prohibit incidents of workplace misconduct. Employers' liability for failing to provide ways to resolve harassment issues; `Hudson v. Reno' case; `Virgo v....
- Grocery chain agrees to pay $102.2M settlement in female employees' sex bias case. // Jet;1/17/94, Vol. 85 Issue 11, p53
Reports on San Jose, California-based Lucky Stores' awarding of $107.2 million to five plaintiffs as settlement of a class action suit charging discrimination. Impact of the case on the supermarket industry; Settlement stipulation; Basis to of financial awards to the women.
- Postcards. // American City & County;Oct94, Vol. 109 Issue 11, p28
Presents miscellaneous information. Japan's meteorology agency's abandonment of a study on whether earthquakes are caused by catfish wiggling their tails; Lesbians and gays' freedom from discrimination; Virginia Supreme Court's decision to overturn an award made to a Virginia man who suffered...