Houston mayor wants increased federal infrastructure spending
- Smelling like a rose. Thorpe, Helen // Texas Monthly;Nov95, Vol. 23 Issue 11, p138
Features Houston, Texas Mayor Bob Lanier. Expected victory in the 1995 elections; Career highlights; Personal background.
- A Texas liberal with soaring ratings. Pendleton, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;11/29/95, Vol. 88 Issue 3, p4
Features Houston Mayor Bob Lanier. Bob Lanier, a supporter of affirmative action and hugely popular; Lanier's action on crimes; Few critics; Profile details and details of developmental service to the people of Houston.
- Lanier to receive PSA public service award. // Bond Buyer;9/17/97, Vol. 321 Issue 30232, p4
Reports on the presentation of PSA's public service award to Houston, Texas mayor Bob Lanier, who helped convince US Congress not to repeal the de-minimis rule. Lanier as a key supporter of municipal market efforts to defeat a congressional proposal to help pay for the balanced-budget...
- What about Bob? Draper, Robert // Texas Monthly;Nov93, Vol. 21 Issue 11, p5
Examines Houston, Texas mayor Bob Lanier's activities during his first term. Decrease in city crime rate due to addition of police officers; Promotion of racial harmony; Attention to impoverished communities; Focus on urban revitalization; Business expertise; Approval rating.
- Voting power. Smith, Amy // Waste News;07/28/97, Vol. 3 Issue 11, p7
Presents information on a proposal for a $5 million bond package for public works improvements by Mayor Bob Lanier in Houston, Texas. What would be approved if Lanier's wins elections in November 1997; Discussion on the voters' approval of the package; Details on the package paying for two...
- Hold the `wrong' story. Leo, John // U.S. News & World Report;08/10/98, Vol. 125 Issue 6, p12
Examines the news coverage devoted to a Houston, Texas, affirmative action case. Defeat of the Houston Civil Rights Initiative; Role of Houston Mayor Bob Lanier; Referendum thrown out and new vote ordered; How the media responded to the original case but ignored the new vote; Criticism of the...
- Establishment Cause. Lynch, Michael W. // National Review;10/26/1998, Vol. 50 Issue 20, p34
The article deals with the anti-racial preference movement in the U.S. in 1998. Mary Radcliffe, as one of four co-chairmen of Washington's Initiative 200, which would end public-sector racial preferences in the state, has been backing her words with actions. However, she has received cool...
- Planes, trains, auto mobiles. Walker, Chris // Money (14446219);Sep2002, p40
Reports on privatized infrastructure financing in Australia. Information on investment choices; Details on price caps; Characteristics of infrastructure projects.
- A market of almost unlimited potential. Sheldon, Geoff // Asian Business Review;Jun95, p46
Discusses infrastructure spending in Asia. Growth of the middle class as it relates to pressure on housing, sport and recreation facilities; Main importers of infrastructure services; Medium term outlook.