Take a closer look at important legislation
- New laws changing roles of HR execs. Josof, Lisa // Crain's Cleveland Business;03/02/98, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p20
Looks at how the labor laws in the United States have changed the job descriptions of human resource (HR) executives. Complexity of human resource jobs; How HR executives ensure that their companies adhere to employment-related laws; Companies' compliance with the Family and Medical Leave Act,...
- Election projections. G.F. // Personnel Journal;Oct96, Vol. 75 Issue 10, p72
Outlines the impact of the 1996 November elections on legislation affecting the future of human resources management. Family and Medical Leave Act; Possibility of passing the Teamwork for Employees and Managers Act; Fair Labor Standards Act.
- The paper fortress. Hunt, Michael E. // Chain Store Age Executive with Shopping Center Age;Jun95, Vol. 71 Issue 6, p24
Presents an overview of the historical legal foundation upon which personnel management laws in the United States are based. Provisions on employee discharge; Development of the theory of employment-at-will; Litigation rights of employers and employees; Recruitment policies.
- Leadership crisis looms as older workers move on. // Personnel Today;4/22/2003, p7
Reports on the employers' need to overhaul human resources policies in response to Great Britain's workforce or risk of a leadership crisis.
- Statutory minimum notice to be given to employees. // Personnel Today;11/12/2002, p59
Presents a statutory minimum notice to be given by an employer to an employee that is set out in the U.S. Employment Rights Act 1996, section 86(1).
- Employers struggle with over-complex legislation. Willmott, Ben // Personnel Today;4/22/2003, p7
Reports on the struggle of employers to comply with employment legislation. Difficulties in understanding and implementing research finds; Percentage of employment legislation followed by employers; Chances of employers to be taken to employment tribunal.
- Changing environment requires strategic planning to... Twomey, Rosemarie Feuerbach // Business Forum;Spring/Fall97, Vol. 22 Issue 2/3/4, p18
Presents labor laws that provide protections to employees in the workplace. Federal statutory law; State statutory law; Effects of the constitutional laws; Applicability of the employment-at-will doctrine; Existing laws to problems that the human resource managers are likely to face.
- A SNEAK PREVIEW? Younson, Fraser; Davies, Phillip // People Management;7/11/2002, Vol. 8 Issue 14, p19
Comments on the plan of the British government to conduct a wholesale review of employment rights. Change in the statutory dismissal and disciplinary procedures in the employment bill; Impact of the existence of statutory procedure on employers; Views on the plan of the government to impose...
- Hiring and firing: Say the right thing. Dwyer, Steve // National Petroleum News;Dec94, Vol. 86 Issue 13, p57
Discusses ways for employers to avoid litigation in personnel management. Screening of prospective employees; Situations involving internal theft; Procedure checklist. INSET: Asking questions the right way..