- classroom use. // Arts & Activities;Apr2001, Vol. 129 Issue 3, p25
Features the painting of Marsden Hartley, entitled `New Mexico Landscape.' Things to learn about Hartley; Objectives in studying the painting; Uses of the painting on art-teaching needs.
- Hartley's Indicative Objects. Berlind, Robert // Art in America;Nov2003, Vol. 91 Issue 11, p148
Features the art works of New York-based artist Marsden Hartley. Depiction of still life art works and landscape motifs; Observation on his shift in style and attitude; Persistence of symbolism.
- Untitled. // Visual Resources Association Bulletin;Fall2007, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p3
An image of an oil painting on canvas by Marsden Hartley is presented.
- Marsden Hartley & American moderism. Panero, James // New Criterion;Mar2003, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p49
Profiles painter Marsden Hartley (1877-1943). Native spirit of American modernism at the turn of the century; Hartley's efforts to avoid commercial success in the same way that he deflects quick judgment; Critique of Hartley's works.
- The Return Of An Errant Native Painter Marsden Hartley should never have left home. Baker, A.T. // Time;7/14/1980, Vol. 116 Issue 2, p68
The article reviews the painting exhibition of painter Marsden Hartley held at the Whitney Museum in New York and Art Institute of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois.
- 75 Years Ago: Marsden Hartley in Provincetown. Vevers, Tony // Provincetown Arts;1991, Vol. 7, p111
Describes several photographs of artist Marsden Hartley during his visit to Provincetown, Massachusetts. Theme of his painting "The Great Provincetown Summer"; His achievements as an artist.
- Reflections of Painting in Marsden Hartley's Poem "Lewiston Is a Pleasant Place". Levin, Gail // Provincetown Arts;1992, Vol. 8, p97
Discusses the poems and paintings of Marsden Hartley. Features of his childhood; Influence of his mother's death on his poems and paintings; Role of travel in his creative process.
- Marsden Hartley and the West: The Search for an American Modernism. // American Artist;Apr2008, Vol. 72 Issue 786, p86
The article reviews the exhibition "Marsden Hartley and the West: The Search for an American Modernism," at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico through May 11, 2008.
- El Santo. Hartley, Marsden // Western American Literature;Summer2003, Vol. 38 Issue 2, Preceding p1
Presents the oil on canvas painting "El Santo," by Marsden Hartley.