Jury orders ABC News to pay millions in undercover
- Yikes, Diane Sawyer's Downstairs! Gunther, Marc; Goldblatt, Henry // Fortune;12/23/1996, Vol. 134 Issue 12, p231
Highlights what happened to the Food Lion supermarket chain, in wake of the ABC News' `Prime-Time Live' broadcast on November, 1992. Allegations that Food Lion stores knowingly sold contaminated food; Plummeting of the company's market value; Counterattack by Food Lion with a lawsuit against...
- Uncandid camera. Wilkins, Richard D. // Business Journal Serving Southern Tier, CNY, Mohawk Valley, Fing;04/14/97, Vol. 11 Issue 8, p8
Comments on the amount in punitive damages awarded to the Food Lion grocery chain by a North Carolina jury from American Broadcasting Co. (ABC). Charges of the fraud, trespass and breach of loyalty filed against ABC; Appeal filed by ABC; Television program broadcast by ABC charging Food Lion...
- Good story, bad journalism. Sumner, David E. // Editor & Publisher;04/19/97, Vol. 130 Issue 16, p48
Criticizes the tactics used by American Broadcasting Co. (ABC) in investigating Food Lion stores for a `Primetime Live' television report. Jury decision for Food Lion in fraud charges made by the grocery chain against two ABC producers; Author as a satisfied Food Lion customer; Case as...
- ABC appeals Food Lion case. // Editor & Publisher;11/29/97, Vol. 130 Issue 48, p26
Covers information on the appeal by American Broadcasting Co. on the verdict that found the network trespassed and committed fraud in its 1992 expose against the Food Lion supermarket for. Damages sought by the supermarket chain.
- ABC takes double hit in court. McClellan, Steve // Broadcasting & Cable;12/30/96, Vol. 126 Issue 53, p10
Reports on the $10 million libel judgment against American Broadcasting Co. Ruling against `Prime Time Live' in connection with an undercover report exposing alleged wrongdoing at Food Lion supermarkets; Details of the lawsuits against ABC News; Concerns over the amount of verdict.
- `Fakes, lies and videotape,' Food Lion slams ABC. Noack, David // Editor & Publisher;08/29/98, Vol. 131 Issue 35, p14
Reports on the curriculum package of the lawsuit filed by Food Lion Inc. against American Broadcasting Co. Importance of issues related to the litigation in journalism; Videotape pointing out inconsistencies in the broadcast.
- ABC appeals Food Lion damage award. // Electronic Media;03/03/97, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p16
Reports on American Broadcasting Co.'s petition for the court to overturn or reduce the $5.5 million punitive damage awarded to Food Lion Inc.
- ABC must pay $5.5 million to Food Lion. McClellan, Steve // Broadcasting & Cable;
Reports that a North Carolina jury has ordered American Broadcasting Co. (ABC) to pay punitive damages to Food Lion in a ruling which declared ABC's guilt in committing trespass, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty. ABC's undercover report in the program `PrimeTime Live' on alleged wrongdoing at...
- Food Lion will not request a new trial. // Electronic Media;10/13/97, Vol. 16 Issue 42, p13
Reports on October 13, 1997 that Food Lion declined to ask for a trial against the American Broadcasting Company. Information on the lawsuit Food lion brought; Position of ABC on the lawsuit.
- ABC thrown to the Lion. Trigoboff, Dan // Broadcasting & Cable;02/03/97, Vol. 127 Issue 5, p15
Opinion. Focuses on the awarding of $5.5 million in punitive damages to Food Lion Inc. in its lawsuit against the American Broadcasting Co. (ABC) Background on the case; Losses supposedly incurred by Food Lion from ABC's video showing rotten meat and cheese being offered to the public;...