Texaco loses racial-bias suit
- Texaco settles lawsuit for $176 million. // Jet;12/02/96, Vol. 91 Issue 3, p4
Discusses the payment agreed upon by Texaco Inc. in November 1996 in regard to a race discrimination lawsuit. Amount of money paid to Afro-American workers; Comments from Texaco's chair and chief executive officer Peter I. Bijur; Details of the case and the settlement.
- Bias should be on radar screen. Holmes, Renee // Treasury & Risk Management;Jan/Feb97, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p16
Focuses on developments related to the racial discrimination suit against United States' Texaco Inc. Racial discrimination suit in the finance department of Texaco; Calculation of risk involved in racial discrimination suit; Treasurer's role in assessment of worker's compensation claims.
- Full-service career tracks. Barnes, Patricia G. // ABA Journal;Feb97, Vol. 83 Issue 2, p20
Reports on the racial and sexual discriminations offenses in the United States involving Texaco Inc. Inefficiency of diversity training programs and seminars; Proactive stance sought on employers; Achievement of diverse workplace as part of companies' business plans; Creation of innovative...
- New anti-bias case may signal a wave of workplace lawsuits. Coolidge, Shelley Donald // Christian Science Monitor;5/1/97, Vol. 89 Issue 109, p4
Reports on the impact in the United States of the discrimination lawsuit filed against the Texaco company. Reference to the antidiscrimination lawsuit filed by African-American workers in California against the United Parcel Service; Reason for the lawsuit; Significance of the California...
- Texaco's high-octane racism problems. White, Jack E. // Time;11/25/1996, Vol. 148 Issue 24, p33
Opinion. Discusses the boycott of Texaco that is being encouraged and organized by Jesse Jackson and other black leaders in November 1996. Tapes on which Texaco executives are heard making racist remarks; Texaco's settlement of a discrimination suit with 1,400 employees; Details of the...
- Quota End Game. // National Review;12/9/1996, Vol. 48 Issue 23, p18
The article focuses on the African American-led boycott of Texaco Inc. A lawsuit has been filed alleging that there was racial discrimination against the African American employees. There were also accusations of specific acts of discrimination and arguments based on supposed patterns of...
- Texaco photocopy suit moves toward trials. Reid, C. // Publishers Weekly;6/30/89, Vol. 235 Issue 26, p22
Discusses the upcoming trial against Texaco for illegal photocopying.
- Risk management lessons from the Texaco case. Lawrence, Carolyn // Las Vegas Business Press;11/18/96, Vol. 13 Issue 46, p34
Investigates the effects of racial discrimination cases against companies to corporate management. Integration of an EEO policy in companies; Lessons from the Texaco case; Management's need for awareness in racial discriminatory attitudes of officials and employees; Implications of the lawsuit.
- Texaco faces Scrutiny. // Crain's New York Business;01/06/97, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p26
Comments on the settlement made by Texaco Incorporated, on the race-bias law-suit, in which the company paid $176.1 million. Intentions of the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.