Shift worker facts
- Shifting needs: Employees asleep on the job? // Getting Results...For the Hands-on Manager: Plant Edition;May96, Vol. 41 Issue 5, p6
Discusses the problems associated with workshifts and gives advice for managers on meeting the needs of employees. Methods on promoting alertness on the job; Occurrence of sleep debt among workers; Elements in creating an improved schedule for workers.
- Shiftwork increases weight. // Healthy Weight Journal;Jan/Feb2000, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p3
Deals with a study which examined the impact of work shifts on the weight of men workers in the Netherlands. Weight differences between men who work rotating shifts and daytime workers; Health risk factors for shift workers.
- Shiftworkers' sleep patters cause plenty of problems. Haalebos, Glenys // Australian Nursing Journal;Nov98, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p11
Looks at the problems faced by shiftworkers and their families. Risk faced by shiftworkers in developing heart disease; Social lives of shiftworkers; How children of shiftworkers perform in school.
- Shift Workers: Scheduling Efficacy and Physical Activity. Loitz, Christina // Research Update;Mar2008, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p1
The article reports on the physical activity of shift workers. Compared to employees with regular working hours, shift workers are more prone to health risks. The article argues that physical activity improve the physical and mental health of shift workers. It presents a study on the effect of...
- Health Effects of Shiftwork– A Focus on Health Care Providers. Andersen, Erin // AAOHN Journal;Jun2005, Vol. 53 Issue 6, p239
Discusses the effects of shift work schedules on the health of health care providers. Definition of shift work; Overview of research about the link between health and shift work; Role of occupational health nurses in helping employees adjust to night- and rotating-shift schedules.
- Shift-work and cardiovascular disease. Leclerc, Annette // European Journal of Epidemiology;May2010, Vol. 25 Issue 5, p285
In this article the author discusses the reports published in the 2010 issue of the periodical on the relationship between cardiovascular disease and shiftwork. He states that the use of the term shiftwork does not clearly reflect whether its a dayshift or nightshift. He argues that gender...
- The delicate balance between sleep and work. // Hospital Employee Health;Sep2012, Vol. 31 Issue 9, p106
The article discusses a blog on "Sleep and Work" where the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health offers employers with tips such as having a regular rest with 7-8 hours of sleep, brief rest breaks during demanding hours of workload and training on ups and downs of shiftwork.
- shift into GEAR. Stenmark, Judy // Australian Table;Dec2004, Vol. 6 Issue 5, p156
Offers tips for shift workers on managing health. Maintenance of a sleeping routine; Benefits of doing regular exercise for the body; Consumption of a couple of apples on every shift.
- Shift work and mental health sickness absence: a 10-year observational cohort study among male production workers. Norder, Giny; Roelen, Corné A. M.; Bültmann, Ute; van der Klink, Jac J. L. // Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health;2015, Vol. 41 Issue 4, p413
Objectives: Epidemiological studies investigating mental-health-related sickness absence (SA) among shift workers are lacking. This 10-year observational study investigated the risk of mental health SA among shift compared with day workers. Methods: The data of 5826 male production workers were...