At two Cleveland schools, overhauls mark a dramatic response to `desperate times'
- Shock therapy. Hendrie, Caroline // Teacher Magazine;Nov/Dec97, Vol. 9 Issue 3, p10
Reports that the practice of ousting a school's staff, a strategy known as reconstitution, is gaining national currency as a way to resuscitate failing public schools in the United States. States where reconstitution occurred; Benefits of reconstitution; Why teachers' unions fight the...
- 14 laid off at Wesleyan. Bennison, Gail // Fort Worth Business Press;2/1/2002, Vol. 15 Issue 5, p1
Reports that Texas Wesleyan University has laid off administrative staff members. Departments affected by the cost-cutting plan; Corporate reorganization; Fund-raising at the university; Views of teachers regarding the cost-cutting program of the university.
- Indianapolis district lays off 163 employees. // American School & University Exclusive Insight;5/23/2012, p3
The article reports on the approval given by the Indianapolis School Board to layoff a number of school district employees, including teachers.
- Back at the books. // NEA Today;Feb98, Vol. 16 Issue 6, p10
Reports on the case filed by Willingboro Education Association against the district school of Willingboro, New Jersey who dismissed payroll department employees. Decision of the court regarding the case.
- Employee Fired After Drug Test Ordered Rehired. // Education Week;3/12/1986, Vol. 5 Issue 26, p3
The article reports on the decision of a federal district judge stating that school officials violated both their own rules and regulations and the U.S. Constitutions when they fired school-bus attendant in the U.S. The school-bus attendant was fired after she tested positive on a urinalysis...
- News of layoffs angers teachers. Capochino, April // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);12/12/2005, Vol. 26 Issue 23, p51
The article reports that the layoff of several employees of New Orleans Public Schools on November 30, 2005 angered teachers in Louisiana. According to United Teachers of New Orleans president Brenda Mitchell, the Orleans Parish School Board's decision to layoff employees was premature and has...
- TEXAS: DISD Lays Off 1,100. Williamson, Richard // Bond Buyer;10/7/2008, Vol. 366 Issue 32977, p9
The article reports on the laying off of 1.100 employees at the financially troubled Dallas Independent School District (DISD) in Dallas, Texas. The laying off is aimed to reduce $84 million budget shortfall of the school district. More than 400 of the jobs include teachers in the core subject...
- New Hampshire. // NEA Today;Sep94, Vol. 13 Issue 2, p9
Reports on the implications of the switch in the property tax formula in Derry, New Hamspire. Elimination a third of Derry, New Hampshire tax base; Dismissal of Derry school employees; Percentage of Derry Education Association members affected by the layoff.
- Mich. Revising List Of Worker Convictions. // Education Week;3/1/2006, Vol. 25 Issue 25, p20
This article reports that according to a announcement from Michigan state officials, that they are compiling a more accurate list of school workers with criminal convictions. The Michigan State Police will verify the new list's accuracy before giving it to the state education department by the...