A guide to employment rights in the short term
- A spanner in the works? Aikin, Olga // People Management;4/19/2001, Vol. 7 Issue 8, p18
Considers the regulations proposed by the government of Great Britain based on the fixed-term work directive agreed by the social partners in 1999, to control the use of fixed-term contracts. Employees who will be affected by the regulations; Provisions in the regulations which are similar to...
- Employee Relations. // People Management;07/29/99, Vol. 5 Issue 15, p10
Presents news briefs on industrial relations in Great Britain as of July 29, 1999. Study conducted by Jonathan Michie on employment contracts; Participation sought by the Institute of Personnel and Development.
- Failure to extend temp contracts will cost Â£500m. // Personnel Today;4/8/2003, p10
Reports on the implications of business enterprises' failure to extend the contracts of temporary workers in Great Britain. Reduction in initial investment in contract workers.
- WORK PLACE RIGHTS. Burd, Michael; Davies, James; Silkin, Lewis // Management Today;Oct2013, Issue 10, p13
The article reports on Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development's revelation that there could be a million people in Great Britain on zero-hours contracts, which describes an agreement where employers puts an individual with no guarantee of work.
- CIPD denounces deal on agency workers' rights. Chubb, Laura // People Management;5/29/2008, Vol. 14 Issue 11, p7
The article presents the views of the British Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD) on the new rights for agency workers agreed by the government. The Trades Union Congress (TUC) and the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) struck a deal with the government that will entitle...
- Landmark temps ruling could leave employers paying the price. // Employers Law;May2003, p4
Reports on warning to employers to take more care over the way they treat temporary staff following a court ruling that direct dealings over time could give temporary employees an implied employment contract and therefore full employee rights. Ruling of the U.S. Court of Appeals on the case...
- THE EFFECTS OF SHORT TERM EMPLOYMENT CONTRACT ON AN ORGANIZATION: A CASE OF KENYA FOREST SERVICE. Wandera, Hillary Thomas // International Journal of Humanities & Social Science;Dec2011, Vol. 1 Issue 21, p184
The use of temporary workers is growing rapidly. It has spread across industries-from manufacturing to services and other occupations, including construction workers, registered nurses, bankers, information technologists. The number of companies using temporary workers was on the increase as...
- Â¿Trabajo de preferencia o contrato indefinido? Un anÃ¡lisis de su impacto sobre el estado del contrato psicolÃ³gico. Ángel Solanes Puchol; Zaragoza Martínez, Beatriz María // Acciones e Investigaciones Sociales;2010, Issue 28, p57
We normally assume that being a temporary worker has a negative effect although there are workers who prefer this type of contract (Barringer & Milkovich, 2002). These same authors point out the heterogeneous nature of the profile of the workers, particularly those on temporary contracts. The...
- With temporary workers, document everything. Johnson, Jim // Waste & Recycling News;6/22/2009, Vol. 14 Issue 30, p4
The article discusses issues related to hiring temporary employees by trash companies as discussed by Jerry Peters, safety compliance manager for Rumpke Consolidated Companies Inc., and Steven Horowitz, an attorney who has clients in the solid waste business, at Waste Expo held recently in Las...