Companies happier to work with unions
- Employee Relations. // People Management;8/28/1997, Vol. 3 Issue 17, p19
Presents news briefs related to employee relations in Great Britain as of August 1997. Efforts of unions to press for rights from the first day of work and the right to union recognition; Research by Cranfield School of Management on the impact of downsizing on the effectiveness of personnel...
- The union role in labor-management cooperation. Levine, Marvin J. // Journal of Collective Negotiations in the Public Sector;1997, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p203
Examines the role of labor unions in labor-management cooperation. Introduction and implementation of programs stressing labor-management cooperation; Improvement of the productivity and quality of work; Provision of employees with a sense of involvement in the decision-making process.
- THE DECLINE IN TRADE UNION MEMBERSHIP. Parker, C.H. // Quarterly Journal of Economics;May10, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p564
Focuses on the decline in trade-union membership. Evidence of settled policy of antagonism toward trade unions; Invention of labor-saving devices.
- Tyneside turnaround. Whitworth, Mick // Food Manufacture;Apr2002, Vol. 77 Issue 4, p26
Focuses on the industrial relations management of the Fawdon factory of NestlÃ©. Creation of a trade union partnership arrangement; Receipt of the Best Process Factory in the manufacturing awards sponsored by 'Management Today'; Division of the workforce into zones.
- John E. Burns Reports:. Burns, John E. // Industrial Management;Oct68, Vol. 10 Issue 10, p15
Presents news briefs about trade-unions and industrial relations. Unionization of physicians aboard Grace Line ships; Five day work week in East Germany; Bargaining unit in the U.S.
- Unions turn up heat, push for membership. Schneider, A.J. // Indianapolis Business Journal;1/22/96, Vol. 16 Issue 45, p4
Focuses on the relationship of employers and the labor unions in the Indiana labor market. Membership recruitment plans of the AFL-CIO; Placing of union salts within a company; Hiring of replacement workers by employers during strikes.
- Employee relations. // People Management;11/20/97, Vol. 3 Issue 23, p9
Presents news on employer-employee relations. Proportion of workers around the globe who belong to unions; Proportion of private-sector employers that use interim managers; Role of unions on employee participation on decision-making.
- Support the team act. // Christian Science Monitor;5/31/96, Vol. 88 Issue 130, p20
Criticizes labor unions' inability to adapt to the modern era. Controversy on whether employees in nonunion shops who have the right to discuss production and workplace issues with management; Author's support for management-labor cooperation approach; Unions' use of a 1935 law to prohibit and...
- Developments in Industrial Relations. // Monthly Labor Review;Jul87, Vol. 110 Issue 7, p44
Presents updates on industrial relations in the U.S. as of July 1987. Settlement between Mack Trucks Inc. and the Auto Workers; Benefits accords between the Grain Millers union and General Mills Inc., Pillsbury Co., ConAgra Inc. and International Multifoods Corp.; Pay equity increase for New...
- TRADE UNION LAW AND THE PROLIFERATION OF TRADE UNIONS IN HONG KONG. Yerbury, D. // Australian Journal of Management (University of New South Wales);Oct80, Vol. 5 Issue 1/2, p87
Abstract: Commentators, including the author, have argued that many of the reasons for the proliferation and survival of small unions in Australia can be traced to the law. In 1977, the author was called upon to consider not-dissimilar arguments in the context of a very different industrial...