News & analysis
- Telephone etiquette on the job. Dershowitz, Barbara // Cosmopolitan;Nov93, Vol. 215 Issue 5, p182
Shows ways to cultivate telephone etiquette. Development of a clear, pleasant phone voice; Avoidance of eating, drinking, chewing gum or smoking while on the phone; Manners; Immediate response to a ringing phone; Avoidance of abandoning callers on hold; Taking of accurate and complete messages;...
- First impressions can be lasting ones for business callers. Miller, Laura Novello // Indianapolis Business Journal;11/29/93, Vol. 14 Issue 35, p7B
Discusses the importance of a receptionist's job in a business organization. Customer relations; Tips on cordial customer telephone conversations; Survey of telephone etiquette of ten Indianapolis businesses.
- Don't be heard as a nerd. // Machine Design;8/24/95, Vol. 67 Issue 15, p204
Features telephone etiquette tips from Paulsen & Partners. Keeping a business attitude; Development of good listening skills; Interruptions.
- Tel-etiquette. Urquhart, Barry // NZ Marketing Magazine;Sep97, Vol. 16 Issue 8, p52
Identifies telephone discourtesy as the bigger source of losses, in sales, revenue and profits rather than the price discounting strategies of competitors. Creation of annoyance and dissatisfaction among clients; Cause of the withholding of the best possible deal.
- Basic rules to guide telephone reception. // PHC Profit Report;Jul97, Vol. 5 Issue 7, p8
Provides guidelines on how to address deficiencies commonly noticed regarding telephone reception. Tone of voice; Clipped responses; Proper way of dealing with angry callers, potential customers and pesky salesmen.
- Simple techniques can create winning telephone personality. Fishman, Allen // Inside Tucson Business;5/8/95, Vol. 5 Issue 6, p16
Offers tips to improve telephone personality. Listening ability; Smiling; Voices; Professionalism and confidence; Reactions to various situations.
- When calling a client abroad, put smile in voice. Johnson, Marie Betts // San Diego Business Journal;5/22/95, Vol. 16 Issue 21, p38
Offers advice on how to use the telephone in communicating with foreign clients. Identifying one's self; Being courteous; Remembering names of secretaries; Answering calls promptly.
- Good telephone etiquette can help the job seeker. Kennedy, Joyce Lain // San Diego Business Journal;2/19/96, Vol. 17 Issue 8, p41
Presents tips on good telephone etiquette from executive search recruiter of Heyman Associates, Elisabeth Ryan. Key tips on etiquette.
- Group your outgoing calls. // Sell!ng;Mar1998, Vol. 5 Issue 8, p4
Offers pointers in making outgoing telephone calls. Allocation of time for telephone calls; Establishment of objectives for calls.