Tags: SOCIAL problems
- What's behind good news in reversing social woes. Feldmann, Linda // Christian Science Monitor;1/29/97, Vol. 89 Issue 44, p1
Presents information on the decline in social problems in the United States. Decrease in adolescents having children; Fall in abortions, and crime; Response of President Bill Clinton to the improvements in social conditions; Views of social scientists.
- Lawless in Lebanon: A society saddled with the bad habits... Yeranian, Edward // Christian Science Monitor;4/16/97, Vol. 89 Issue 98, p7
Focuses on the growing lawlessness in Lebanon's capital Beirut. What some argue is responsible for the growing lawlessness; Methods that are used by Lebanon's well-connected citizens to avoid criminal charges; Political corruption in Lebanon; Allegations brought against Walid Joumblatt, leader...
- Across the nation: National. // Education Week;10/27/93, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p2
Reports on Fordham University researchers' rating of the social well-being of Americans. Indicators for the study; Index for 1991; Factors affecting the downward trend of the rating; Evaluation of the country's well-being by the Americans.
- Death watch. // National Catholic Reporter;5/20/94, Vol. 30 Issue 29, p6
Reports on crimes and other social problems around the world. Includes capital punishment in the United States; Murder of a nun in Algiers, Algeria in March 1994; Punitive damages ordered by a Houston, Texas jury to be paid by groups opposing abortion and their leaders to Planned Parenthood for...
- Methodological problems in evaluation of social reforms--exemplified by deinstitutionalization of... Jenssen, Tor // Psychological Record;Fall95, Vol. 45 Issue 4, p535
Studies and presents methodological problems in the study of social reforms as exemplified by the deinstitutionalization of the mentally retarded in Norway. Measurement of psychological concepts; Factors to be evaluated; Methods of evaluation.
- America 1998: Powerlessness corrupts. Lerner, Michael // Tikkun;Jan/Feb98, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p6
Editorial. Views on America's social problems. Reference to education, health care, child care. Questions why middle income Americans are willing to buy into this world.
- It's time to tackle social ills. Davis, Anne Hall // Trustee;Jun95, Vol. 48 Issue 6, p25
Opinion. Focuses on the need to address the growing number of patients in hospitals whose problems indicate social ills. Role of hospitals and health organizations in tackling the problem; Breakdown of the family as a key cause of social problems; Need for the government to focus on the...
- IN THE KNOW. // Hill;5/15/2008, Vol. 15 Issue 57, p26
The article highlights several developments in the U.S. including a symposium addressing concerns on spousal issues such as bringing children during campaigns, a man being arrested for sandwich theft and a woman offering to be Senator Bernie Sander's gardener.
- Russia's choice. // Christian Science Monitor;1/24/96, Vol. 88 Issue 40, p20
Opinion. Looks at a poem which was written during Russia's 1905 political-reform period, which speaks of a sad policeman. What the poem reassures the policeman; Pattern followed by reform in Russia; Russia's political, economic and social changes; What these changes meant for Russians; Details.
- Which model of democracy? Sachs, A. // UNESCO Courier;Feb92, Vol. 45 Issue 2, p23
Reflects on the democratic choices facing a non-racial South Africa. Millions die and are victims of state neglect because, in eyes of government, blacks do not count; For and against social democracy; Religious movements and the state; More.