How metaphors throw light on training issues
- Travelling to new places. Erksine, Alex // Therapy Today;Sep2011, Vol. 22 Issue 7, p9
No abstract available.
- Spice up your training with stories. Shakiba, Eleanor // Training & Development in Australia;Jun2010, Vol. 37 Issue 3, p038
The article offers tips on creating characters for stories about teaching metaphors designed for training. It suggests considering the types of characters to use when defining their purpose in the stories. Among the factors to take into account when selecting names of the characters are the...
- Speaking the Language of the Bottom-Line: The Metaphor of "Managing Diversity" Kirby, Erika L.; Harter, Lynn M. // Journal of Business Communication;Jan2003, Vol. 40 Issue 1, p28
This study explores the metaphor of managing diversity and its related discourses that dominate current business communication about the changing workforce. We examine the language employed in practitioner oriented texts and consultant websites on diversity. We first illustrate the...
- Abraham Lincoln, Psychotherapist to the Nation: The Use of Metaphors. Leetz, Kenneth L. // American Journal of Psychotherapy;Winter1997, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p45
Presents accepted definitions of the term metaphor and reviews types of metaphors in common usage. Elucidating the purposes behind utilizing psychotherapeutic metaphors and their inherent value in a therapeutic context; Historical survey of Abraham Lincoln's life and some examples of his...
- Knit-pickers who don't tow the line will soon have the devil to pay. Wood, Alden // Communication World;Apr94, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p44
Presents examples of misuse of metaphors in published works. Includes an article in `The Financial Post' describing how Israel uses handwriting analysis to test combat pilots; Caption for an AP photo showing a caricature of French prime minister Edouard Balladour published in `The Boston Globe';...
- The essence of language: Metaphorically speaking. Heaney, Liam F. // Contemporary Review;Jun95, Vol. 266 Issue 1553, p313
Focuses on the use of metaphors. Analogies and comparisons as part of everyday language; Enhancement of meaning; Dynamic, stimulating and enduring perceptions of the creative process and of language; Metaphors in poetry; Explanation of complex phenomena in science; Illustration of new...
- A FRONT-LINE ISSUE. LeBlanc, Allana; Whiteley, Pat // Canadian Nurse;Sep2015, Vol. 111 Issue 6, p9
A letter to the editor is presented in response to an article about the use of military metaphors in nursing language in the June 2015 issue.
- HAS METAPHOR COLLAPSED? Gozzi Jr., Raymond // ETC: A Review of General Semantics;Fall93, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p374
Cites from the book `America,' by French philosopher Jean Baudrillard regarding the elimination of metaphors in the United States. Possible coverup; Postmodern interpretation; Simulation.
- Metaphor Mechanics 101. Linderman, James // Canadian Musician;Nov/Dec2000, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p12
Presents a lesson on creating figurative language or metaphor for song texts. Replacement of nouns and verbs into blank spaces of popular idioms; Importance of listing down the removed words for random selection; Addition of descriptive words to create an original metaphor of the song.