It's shaky at the top
- Not lean and mean but fat and mean. Gordon, David M. // Across the Board;Nov/Dec96, Vol. 33 Issue 10, p11
Asserts that American corporations are still bloated because the proportion of managers and supervisors in private nonfarm employment has grown, not shrunk, during the 1990s. Comparison of the proportion with that of Germany and Japan; Myth of managerial `downsizing'; Stagnation of the wages of...
- The misfit manager. Hornestay, David // Government Executive;Mar1999, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p71
Presents the case of a senior division chief in the United States government who has been rendered irrelevant by his bureau's new management approach. Reasons for refusal to leave even with cash incentives; Three suggested solutions from government personnel management experts. INSETS: Don't...
- Managers and Downsizing. Imberman, Woodruff // Business Horizons;Sep/Oct89, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p28
A company forced to downsize must take care that its managers know how to function in the new environment. A three-step method will help ensure that they can. Managers these days are finding that they are working harder than ever, for longer hours, and receiving less than before. Executive ranks...
- Learn to be irreplaceable. Trunick, Perry A. // Transportation & Distribution;Apr97, Vol. 38 Issue 4, p5
Editorial. Examines the impact of corporate downsizings on the ranks of logistics managers in the United States. Realignment of logistics functions under a single executive; Redefinition of the roles played by logistics managers in the organization; Importance of investing time in one's work...
- Spotlight on maintenance. Agron, Joe // American School & University;Apr96, Vol. 68 Issue 8, p32J
Presents a question and answer session on some of the key maintenance issues that physical plant directors in the United States face daily, and how the problems can be alleviated. Names of persons that were on the panel; How product cost is calculated after products and equipment are purchased;...
- Studio exex stall in fast lane. Carver, Benedict // Variety;03/08/99, Vol. 374 Issue 3, p1
Part I. Focuses on the challenges facing studio executives in the United States, amidst downsizing of film studios and talent agencies. Corporate pressures facing studio executives; Factors driving increased competition for jobs; Executives that have broken through; Benefits and downsides to...
- Social Security Managers Miffed. // Government Executive;Jun2002, Vol. 34 Issue 7, p12
Focuses on the survey concerning the impact of downsizing of companies in the U.S. Number of field managers affected by downsizing; Impact of job cuts on work quality; Implication of the survey to the U.S. Social Security Administration.
- Overcome By Indecision. Brandt, John R. // Industry Week/IW;Jun2005, Vol. 254 Issue 6, p23
Deals with the prevalence of executive decision dysfunction (EDD) in the U.S. Impact of the problem on industrial performance; Treatment options for EDD; Correlation between the EDD pandemic and the practice of downsizing.
- Parent to offer early buyouts at Ameritech. Jones, Sandra // Crain's Cleveland Business;09/18/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 39, p3
Reports the organizational downsizing of SBC Communications Inc. in the United States. Offer of early retirement of managers; Pensions and retirement packages given to managers; Problems regarding the industrial management of the company; Decrease of SBC market share.