Folded path enables compact spectrometer
Tags: MASS spectrometers
- A liquid nitrogen cooled ionizer for a quadrupole mass spectrometer. Farrall, Paul D.; Engel, Thomas // Review of Scientific Instruments;Nov96, Vol. 67 Issue 11, p4027
Presents a study that constructed an ultrahigh vacuum compatible cooled ionizer suitable for use with a quadruple mass spectrometer. Capability of the system to monitor rapidly changing signals of condensable gases; Modulated molecular beam studies of surface reaction kinetics with minimal...
- Miniature, high-resolution, quadrupole mass-spectrometer array. Orient, O.J.; Chutjian, A.; Garkanian, V. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Mar97, Vol. 68 Issue 3, p1393
Features a miniature quadrupole mass spectrometer array consisting of sixteen rods. Ionizer of a miniature Nier-type design; Detector of a channel-type electron multiplier; Operating frequencies; Mass range; Resolution of the system; Calculation and measurement of sensitivity.
- Operation of a microchannel plate counting system in a mass spectrometer. Murphy, Daniel M.; Mauersberger, Konrad // Review of Scientific Instruments;Feb85, Vol. 56 Issue 2, p220
A multiplier detector system has been developed as part of a mass spectrometer in an ion counting mode. During its operation ions striking a microchannel plate release pulses of electrons which are accelerated to a phosphor layer. The resulting flash of light is carried by a fiber-optic bundle...
- Small mass spectrometer probe for analyzing hydrogen ion species. Leung, K. N.; Guethlein, G. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jul85, Vol. 56 Issue 7, p1480
The characteristics of a small, water-cooled, 90� magnetic deflection mass spectrometer suitable for analyzing positive and negative hydrogen ion species is described.
- Retarding-field differential-output energy prefilter for high-performance secondary ion mass spectrometry. Thompson, Patrick M.; Taylor, James W.; Negri, Ronald E. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Aug85, Vol. 56 Issue 8, p1557
A retarding-field differential-output energy prefilter has been optically matched to a quadrupole mass spectrometer to produce a high-performance secondary ion quadrupole mass spectrometer. The sample area was designed to be field free to allow for sample charge compensation and to prevent...
- Mass spectrometer utilizing permanent magnets. Trow, John R. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Nov85, Vol. 56 Issue 11, p2163
A fairly compact mass spectrometer suitable for vacuum use, and requiting no cooling, was built utilizing permanent magnets. A uniform, variable magnetic field, with a maximum of 2800 G, was produced in a 0.6-cm-wide gap by using a rotating block of samarium-cobalt permanent magnets, and an iron...
- Beam compression and beam multiplexing in a time-of-flight mass spectrometer. Riess, I. // Review of Scientific Instruments;May87, Vol. 58 Issue 5, p784
Two new methods for operating a time-of-flight mass spectrometer are suggested. The first is a beam compression method which allows separation of one kind of particle (one m/q ratio) at a time, from a beam continously emitted by an ion source. Due to the continuous operation of the source a...
- High-resolution time-of-flight mass spectrometers: Part I. Effects of field distortions in the vicinity of wire meshes. Bergmann, T.; Martin, T. P.; Schaber, H. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Mar89, Vol. 60 Issue 3, p347
Field distortions in the vicinity of wire meshes can change the direction of passing ions. Small deflection angles of ions passing through wire meshes in the reflector can reduce the mass resolution of time-of-flight mass spectrometers. We calculate these effects.
- Automated sample transport system for chromatography/secondary ion mass spectrometry. Duffin, Kevin L.; Flurer, Rick A.; Busch, Kenneth L.; Sexton, Larry W.; Dorsett, John L. // Review of Scientific Instruments;Jun89, Vol. 60 Issue 6, p1071
The design of a new sample cell for a large-scale secondary ion mass spectrometer is described. Unique to this new source chamber is the incorporation of large piezoelectric translator stages capable of 20 cm�20 cm movement with high resolution. In addition, the source chamber is designed so...