Peace is not a worthwhile end in itself
- A man, a plan, now what? Wurst, Jim // Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists;Sep1992, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p9
Says that United Nations Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali regularly invokes the UN Charter to justify and legitimize the numerous proposals he made to deal with the problems of war and peace in his report, `An Agenda for Peace.' The report the use of military force. Initial reaction to...
- Peace in the family. // Christian Science Monitor;12/6/96, Vol. 89 Issue 9, p17
Discusses the importance of peace as a binding force, and the possibility of praying for permanent peace among family members. Why peace is always present; Demonstration by Jesus Christ that peace lies in the power of God.
- Promises of peace on earth. Schorr, Daniel // Christian Science Monitor;12/27/96, Vol. 89 Issue 23, p23
Focuses on promises of peace in several countries. Number of small wars in 1996; Amount of people killed in 149 internal and across-border conflicts since the end of World War II; Information on the START II arms reduction treaty in Russia; Information on peace in Israel and the West Bank.
- Country Risk Summary: JORDAN. // Middle East Monitor: East Med;Jul2003, Vol. 13 Issue 7, p7
Jordan is taking an active role in Israeli and Palestinian 'road map' for peace as meeting of Israeli and Palestinian prime ministers in Aqaba, Jordan attests. Jordan has played an important role in all past attempts at achieving peace and although these have proved fruitless there is some room...
- Building a just and caring world: Four conrnerstones. Eisler, Riane // Tikkun;May/Jun98, Vol. 13 Issue 3, p25
Opinion. Speculates on factors which hinder world peace, highlighting how support partnership rather than dominator relations can be attained. Upheavals resulting from the industrial revolution; Challenges to authoritarian systems of government; Benefits of childhood relations, gender...
- Witness for peace. // Christian Century;8/28/85 - 9/4/85, Vol. 102 Issue 25, p755
Editorial. Imagination is needed within the religious community and from those politicians with the courage not to be locked into the current vicious cycle of rhetoric. A new synthesis of understanding is essential. When a mystery reaches a dead end and seems insoluble, it's time to stop and...
- Old Testament foundations for peacemaking. // Christian Century;12/4/85, Vol. 102 Issue 36, p1115
Old Testament foundations for peacemaking in the nuclear era. Understanding the Hebrew concept of Shalom (peace) can help relate the Old Testament to nuclear-age peacemaking.
- `The things that make for peace.' Willimon, W.H. // Christian Century;5/6/87, Vol. 104 Issue 15, p453
Argues against the pastoral on peace issued by the bishops of the United Methodist denomination entitled, `In Defense of Creation,' stating that the document is theologically flawed and too focused on mere survival.
- The journey toward peace. // America;3/2/1991, Vol. 164 Issue 8, p227
Editorial. Examines various issues to be considered as peace is negotiated in the Gulf War. The Soviet initiative; Bargaining to fulfill the purpose of the Security Council resolutions; Israeli-Palestinian issue.
- Bosnian lessons: the myths of nationalism. Jones, Seth G.; Korgaonkar, Nikhilesh M. // Christian Science Monitor;4/19/96, Vol. 88 Issue 101, p18
Opinion. Presents the authors opinion on the implementation and efforts to reestablish a modicum of normalcy in the former Yugoslavia. Description of reestablishment for lasting peace among Serbs, Bosnians and Croats; Ways United States can assist in the creation of conditions for lasting peace.