- Contractors fill outside needs for landfill operators. Hauser, Robert // World Wastes;Mar1997, Vol. 40 Issue 3, p13
Reports on landfill operators that continue to face challenges on current regulations and modern landfill design. Pressures of landfill operators to improve efficiency and competitiveness; Private firms to design, construct and operate systems; Establishment of fixed price budget; Overall...
- Growing up, not out. Rogoff, Marc J. // World Wastes;Aug97, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p7
Presents the results of a study conducted by Charlotte County, Florida, and HDR Engineering Inc. that aims to increase the sanitary landfill capacity of the county. Includes advantages of increasing landfill's elevation; Consideration of environmental issues; Development of capital reserve...
- Uncovering your top options. Dunson, Cheryl // World Wastes;Sep97, Vol. 40 Issue 9, p38
Focuses on the use of geocomposite liners and ingenious covers and caps for sanitary landfill containment in the United States. Obstacles to the development of innovative landfill containment technology; Concerns on the use of geocomposite liners; State rules on cap construction and liner design.
- One man's closure is another man's cash. Hauser, Bob // World Wastes;Jan1998, Vol. 41 Issue 1, p7
Looks into how closed landfills in Yarmouth in Cape Cod, Massachusetts, were transformed into useful sites. Study showing that a multi-faceted reuse plan would benefit area residents and generate revenue; Manufacture of topsoil to cover the capped landfill; Project established to accommodate...
- Investigating the cover-up. Fickes, Michael // World Wastes;Mar1998, Vol. 41 Issue 3, p54
Details the use of an alternative daily cover (ADC) on a landfill. Factors that determine an operator's perception of a good ADC; Disposal supervisor of the Sonoma County Central Landfill in Petaluma, California's used of degradable plastic film supplied by EPI Environmental Products Inc.; Used...
- Welcome to Mount Trashmore. // Current Health 1;Jan1995, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p29
Discusses landfills. Leachate as lining that keeps landfill fluids from seeping into the ground and contaminating water sources; Separation of solid waste from hazardous waste; Increased costs due to rules imposed by the Environment Protection Agency; Problem posed by more garbage from American...
- Why megadump may be neighbor of a desert park. Wilkinson, Todd // Christian Science Monitor;2/25/97, Vol. 89 Issue 62, p3
Reports that Riverside County's officials are poised to vote on whether to allow the Eagle Mountain Landfill to be constructed near the Joshua Tree National Park, in southern California's Mojave Desert. Amount of solid waste which the landfill will take from the Los Angeles area daily;...
- Rumpke rebuilds after slide. Johnson, Jim // Waste News;12/22/97, Vol. 3 Issue 32, p1
Recalls the collapse of a massive portion of the Rumpke Sanitary Landfill, in the Colerain Township, Ohio, on March 09, 1996. Length of time it has taken the company to rebuild the landfill; Reminisces of several employees to the collapse; Financial effects of the collapse on the company.
- Super landfill zeroes in on permit. Wiley, Walt // Waste News;7/1/96, Vol. 2 Issue 7, p5
Reports on the approval of a permit to develop the Eagle Mountain landfill project in California. Location of the proposed landfill; Opposition against the project.