Turmoil takes toll on British Library staff
- The JAL guide to the professional literature: Personnel & staff development. Altman, Ellen; Pratt, Allan // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Mar1996, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p159
Presents abstracts of professional literature on library personnel and staff development. Includes the article `Motivating Student Employees: Examples from Collections Conservation,' by Brian J. Baird; Book `Personal Professional Development and the Solo Librarian,' by Sue Lacey Bryant.
- The college library assistant director: Serving at the... O'Connor, Thomas F.; Duchon, Maire I. // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Mar1993, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p12
Reports on the results of a survey of 164 assistant library directors (ADs) at 137 comprehensive and liberal arts institutions. Purpose and methodology used in the survey; Authority level of ADs; Sex and education of ADs; Selection versus appointment of college library ADs; Status and rights of...
- The JAL guide to professional literature: Personnel & staff development. Altman, Ellen; Pratt, Allan // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Nov97, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p548
Presents the summaries of journal articles on library personnel & staff development. Incudes `Using Library Skills Sets to Design a Staff Development Program,' by Kathel Dunn and Marcia Epelbaum; `The Complete Guide to Performance Standards for Library Personnel,' by Carol F. Goodson.
- If not for people, then for what? Kniffel, Leonard // American Libraries;Feb97, Vol. 28 Issue 2, p48
Editorial. Criticizes the lack of staffing at many modern libraries. A comparison between staffing situations and quality issues at hospitals and libraries; Issues that need to be confronted during the Information Age; A quote from Samuel Johnson expressing a cynical attitude toward libraries;...
- The JAL guide to professional literature: Personnel & staff development. Altman, Ellen; Pratt, Allan // Journal of Academic Librarianship;Jul98, Vol. 24 Issue 4, p346
Summarizes journal articles and other publications related to library personnel and staff development. Includes `A New Perspective: How to get the Real Story from Attitude Surveys,' by Brad Fisher, published in `Training' journal,' `Getting an Academic Job,' by Jennie Jacobs and `A Case Study...
- Insensitive sensitivity training. Helmick, Cathie; Minudri, Regina // Library Journal;4/1/1995, Vol. 120 Issue 6, p65
Presents a case study based on an actual event in a library and offers the analyses of two librarians. How a college assistant director for public services refused to send his library staff to a compulsory multicultural awareness workshop; How the library director should respond.
- OLA drafts personnel policy guidelines. // LJ: Library Journal;2/1/1975, Vol. 100 Issue 3, p252
Highlights the personnel policy guidelines drafted by the Ohio Library Association (OLA). Recommended work week and leaves; Proposal that all professional staff holding advanced library degrees be accorded faculty rank with its accompanying benefits as provided for other faculty.
- How to Deal with the Interlopers: A Checklist of Options. White, Herbert S. // Library Journal;11/15/1988, Vol. 113 Issue 19, p50
Provides librarians on how to deal with the appointment of a nonlibrarian to the post of chief librarian. Use of warm welcome approach; Offers of assistance and instruction; Tactic of feigning ignorance; Tactic of open confrontation.
- Managing Personnel. Wilkinson, Billy R.; Havens, Shirley // Library Journal;7/1/1985, Vol. 110 Issue 12, p48
Reviews the book ' Library Personnel Management,' by Herbert S. White.