When is an independent contractor actually an employee?
- Independent contractors: The fleecing of American Small... Faris, Jack // Enterprise/Salt Lake City;10/23/95, Vol. 25 Issue 17, p26
Discusses independent contractors. Examination of Congress' involvement on independent contractors; Information on problems facing White House on small business.
- IRS stance against independent contractors continues to toughen. // CPA Journal;Nov93, Vol. 63 Issue 11, p11
Reports on an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) ruling that a worker hired by a student government to take notes during on-campus lectures is considered an employee. Arguments of the student government against the ruling; IRS's affirmation of the ruling.
- Trucker issues top priority at White House Conference. // Overdrive;Sep95, Vol. 35 Issue 9, p23
Reports on the need for the United States Congress to clarify the definition of an independent contractor, in relation to the trucking industry.
- Misclassifying employees can be costly. Coffman, David E. // New Hampshire Business Review;9/16/94, Vol. 16 Issue 19, p3
Reports on the adverse effects on companies of reclassifying independent contractors as employees. Benefits of treating a worker as an independent contractor; Factors which determines the status of an employee; Risks of misclassifying the workers; Advisability of avoiding the problem. INSET:...
- IRS rewriting independent contractor rules. // Overdrive;May96, Vol. 36 Issue 5, p11
Reports that the Internal Revenue Service is soliciting public opinion on its training materials regarding independent contractors. Issuance of a draft of the new training procedures; When a trucker is considered an independent contractor.
- IRS threatens a standard industry practice. Schultz, Andrew E. // Global Cosmetic Industry;Jan2000, Vol. 166 Issue 1, p34
Reports that cosmetics, personal care and fragrance companies in the United States are being required to prove the independent contractor status of their product demonstrators to various state taxing authorities. Eligibility of the workers for unemployment benefits; Investigation of company...
- Employee or independent contractor? Fenn, Donna // Inc.;Oct96, Vol. 18 Issue 14, p87
Discusses the US Internal Revenue Service's classification settlement program (CSP). Its provisions; Its disadvantages; How it affects business use of independent contractors; Why one should file 1099 tax forms for all independent contractors. INSET: Did you know that....
- Independent contractor safe harbor explained. // Practical Accountant;Dec96, Vol. 29 Issue 12, p52
Reports on the US Internal Revenue Service's release of a one-page document intended to help businesses understand their rights under the law when the Service questions their classification of workers as independent contractors.
- Independent contractors and the IRS. Frank, Barry H. // Supervision;Mar95, Vol. 56 Issue 3, p3
Discusses how the US Internal Revenue Service conducts an audit of a business utilizing independent contractors. Compliance check; Safe haven provisions of the Revenue Act of 1978; Classification of workers as independent contractors; 20 common law factors; Guidelines to be followed by a...