- Is there gender bias in the schools? You bet: Add up the teaching staffs. Byfield, Ted // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;4/3/95, Vol. 22 Issue 16, p52
Opinion. Discusses the existence of gender bias in the educational system in Canada. Comparison of academic performance of public school students; Corrective programs for math and science teaching; Implications of enrollment and teaching disparities in universities; Reality of gender...
- The single sex school: Giving girls a chance to steal center stage. Shields, Charles J. // Curriculum Review;Dec93, Vol. 33 Issue 4, p10
Describes the mission and advantages of single sex schools. Effectiveness; Opportunities for girls; Catholic schools; Declining male colleges.
- Helping girls succeed. Moulton, Meg Milne; Ransome, Whitney // Education Week;10/27/93, Vol. 13 Issue 8, p23
Opinion. Comments on the remedy for gender inequities in the schools. Legislative actions; Rectification of the gender gap; Contributions from parents and teachers; Impact of the school's culture in establishing ground rules for participation and achievement; Strategies to help girls and...
- Research, Teaching, and Service. Park, Shelley M. // Journal of Higher Education;Jan/Feb96, Vol. 67 Issue 1, p46
Examines existing university tenure and promotion criteria, suggesting that such criteria are both an effect and a source of gender bias in academia. Factors preventing the advancement of female faculty.
- The AAUW report: How Schools Shortchange Girls. // Women's International Network News;Spring92, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p72
Discusses findings of the report `How Schools Shortchange Girls,' produced for the American Association of University Women (AAUW). Documentation of the bias girls face in the classroom; How gender bias undermines girls' self-esteem and discourages girls from courses of study; Differences...
- Trouble at Girton. Colman, Adrian // Youth Studies Australia;Winter1995, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p10
Reports on the discrimination complaints lodged by two boys from Girton Grammar School in Bendigo, Australia. Refusal of the boys to get their hair cut; Reaction from one of the boys' father; Compliance of the boys to school policy.
- Constructive criticism. Webster, Ruth Marvin // New Moon Network;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p7
Discusses a case of sex discrimination in a school in London, England.
- Women's research on Chicago in the early 20th century. Sibley, David // Women & Environments;Spring95, Vol. 14 Issue 2, p6
Discusses the gender factor in the distinction between the University of Chicago's School of Sociology and School of Social Service Administration in Chicago, Illinois. Women's contribution to urban research at the Hull House settlement; Demarcation between sociology and social work; Findings...
- 10 recommendations for gender equity. // Gifted Child Today Magazine;Mar/Apr99, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p7
Outlines recommendations for gender equity based on the report `Gender Gaps: Where Schools Still Fail Out Children,' from the American Association of University Women in the United States. Includes increase of percentage of girls taking up physics, biology and chemistry; Making of algebra I and...
- Back-to-school battlelines. Woog, Dan // Lesbian News;Sep96, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p25
Focuses on discrimination against homosexuals in the school setting. Decision of the school board in Merrimack, New Jersey to prohibit any discussion of homosexuality as a positive lifestyle; Exclusion of gay literature in schools; Enactment of anti-harrassment policies.