Tags: ORTHOGRAPHY & spelling
- Find the Ricky Martin casts a 'spell'. // Scholastic Scope;9/6/99, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p16
Presents an article about singer Ricky Martin where reader's have to find as many spelling errors as they can.
- How kids can learn new words for their writing. Snowball, Diane // Instructor-Intermediate;Oct96, Vol. 106 Issue 3, p37
Presents strategies spelling teachers can use in helping school children select and learn relevant word for their writing. Proofreading; Choice of words; Useful ways to learn how to spell words; Learning related words; Feedback.
- Teach these 5 reliable rules that every speller can use. Gentry, J. Richard // Instructor-Intermediate;Aug97, Vol. 107 Issue 1, p52
Provides information on five spelling strategies along with activities for teaching children. Details provided for the rules; What materials should be used; Time allotted for each rule.
- Six kinds of spelling errors--and how to correct then for good! Snowball, Diane // Instructor-Primary;Mar1997, Vol. 106 Issue 6, p54
Gives advice on how to correct six kinds of spelling errors by students. Spelling by sound only; Confusion about homophones; Shaky grasp of suffix and prefix rules; Lack of attention to the order of letters in words.
- Use sentences with word blanks to pump selling strategies. Snowball, Diane // Instructor-Primary;May/Jun97, Vol. 106 Issue 8, p22
Presents a step-by-step approach to boost spelling skills of children. Choosing a word; Coaxing multiple strategies; Use of sentences.
- A meaningful way to assess spelling. Glazer, Susan Mandel // Teaching Pre K-8;Apr94, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p87
Discusses how parents and teachers everywhere seem to be concerned with children's spelling. Arguments for lessening the importance of appearances of things, especially in writing; Ways to turn errors into lessons; Assessing spelling needs; How to apply information from the assessment; Use of...
- Did you hear the one about the male cow? Is that an oxymoron? Wood, Alden // Communication World;Apr/May97, Vol. 14 Issue 5/6, p42
Comments on the use of words when making news reports. Occurrence of homophonic miscues; Samples of persistent sound-alikes.
- On spelling. Romeo, Marna Green // Reading Teacher;Apr95, Vol. 48 Issue 7, p619
Presents a talk with a child about his approach in using invented spelling.
- Sort, search, and discover: Spelling in the child-centered classroom. Fresch, Mary Jo; Wheaton, Aileen // Reading Teacher;Sep97, Vol. 51 Issue 1, p20
Focuses on the integration of theory, research, and classroom practice to create individualized spelling instruction. Use of `The Qualitative Inventory of Word Knowledge' for identifying developmental levels; Open sorting as viable approach for children to explore conventional spellings;...