One-man truth squad
- A woman speaks out. // Essence (Essence);Jan1985, Vol. 15 Issue 8, p64
Motlalepula Chabaku, a native South African, writes about what it means to grow up Black in South Africa. At age 51, she has never known life without laws requiring Blacks to use `passbooks' that restrict their movements. Now, she says, the struggle against apartheid is a national, mass...
- South African apartheid: A socio-spatial problem. Davis Jr, DeWitt // Focus;Fall92, Vol. 42 Issue 3, p12
Discusses how South Africa's socio-spatial apartheid has prevented a more equal sharing of land and has impeded economic, physical, political and social development for the entire country. Repeal of population Registration Act of 1950; The abolishing of apartheid; How to resolve the group areas...
- Apartheid and Christianity. Rich, Gregory P. // Journal of Religious Thought;Summer91/Fall91, Vol. 48 Issue 1, p38
Focuses on apartheid and Christianity in South Africa. Foundation of the apartheid system; Determination of family life; Social and political issues; Biblical passages often cited as supporting apartheid; Language miracle of the Pentecost.
- Residential desegregation in two South African cities: A comparative study of Bloemfontein and... Kotze, N.J.; Donaldson, S.E. // Urban Studies (Routledge);Mar98, Vol. 35 Issue 3, p467
Evaluates desegregation in the provincial capitals of Bloemfontein and Pietersburg in post-apartheid South Africa. Residential desegregation patterns; Grass roots political changes; Property values as a further indication of the differences that exist between the two cities.
- 25 years to a new South Africa. Lowery, Mark // Black Enterprise;May95, Vol. 25 Issue 10, p105
Highlights events that led to the abolition of apartheid in South Africa. Includes the killing of Steve Biko, leader of the South African Students' Organization; Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu's winning of the Nobel Peace Price; Political changes with the assumption of Prime Minister F.W. de...
- Apartheid's effects linger in South African market. Briggs, Susan // Best's Review / Life-Health Insurance Edition;Oct96, Vol. 97 Issue 6, p48
Focuses on the lingering effect of apartheid to South Africa's insurance market. Existence of divisions among white and black South Africans, and whites of English-speaking ancestry and those of Dutch heritage; Indigenous saving and investment systems developed by blacks; Ownership positions...
- Challenges for the new South Africa. Nagle, Garrett // Geographical (Campion Interactive Publishing);May94, Vol. 66 Issue 5, p45
Reviews the first multi-racial elections in South Africa and the problems facing the government. Legacy of apartheid; Demographic changes; Urbanization and problems of racial integration and assimilation; Land reform and agriculture.
- New rights for South Africans. // Current Events;2/15/93, Vol. 92 Issue 19, p2
Discusses how in recent months, South Africa has done away with all laws upholding apartheid, the separation of races. The country has no bill of rights; The white-controlled government is urging a guarantee of freedom of speech, religion, and private ownership for all regardless of race.
- Pretoria's mixed signals. // Commonweal;12/15/89, Vol. 116 Issue 22, p692
Comments on the South African government's conflicting statements and actions regarding apartheid. Church demonstrations for integration; Peaceful or violent change; World opinion.