House approves new Perkins Act
- In Washington. // Vocational Education Journal;Apr94, Vol. 69 Issue 4, p11
Presents developments in government policies and legislation regarding vocational education in the United States. President Bill Clinton's request to Congress to reduce federal spending for vocational education; American Vocational Association's (AVA) request to Congress for additional budget;...
- In Washington. Hudelson, Dale // Vocational Education Journal;Nov/Dec94, Vol. 69 Issue 8, p17
Reports on legislative developments concerning vocational education in the United States. Includes a House-Senate conference committee's approval of a compromise appropriations bill for Labor, HHS and Education; Reauthorization of the Perkins Act in 1995; Efforts of the Departments of Labor and...
- Bumpy ride ahead. Lovejoy, Bret // Vocational Education Journal;Jan95, Vol. 70 Issue 1, p8
Discusses the implications of the U.S. Congress elections on vocational-technical educators. Reauthorization of the Perkins Act of 1990; Examination of the Goals 2000 legislation; National education standards; Funding for educational programs.
- In Washington. Hudelson, Dale // Vocational Education Journal;Oct95, Vol. 70 Issue 7, p21
Reports on various legislation affecting vocational education in the United States. Appropriations bill for 1996; Proposals for education and training block grants; Creation of America's Labor Market Information System (ALMIS). INSET: Washington watch, by Nancy O'Brien..
- Lack of progress could imperil voc.-ed bill. West, Peter // Education Week;5/29/96, Vol. 15 Issue 36, p19
Reports that political bickerings in the US Congress are hampering the passage of a bill to consolidate federal job-training and vocational-education efforts. Lack of agreement on whether to set specific authorized funding levels in the bill; Key differences in the House and Senate versions of...
- Voc.-ed. bill to create four block grants clears house panel. Sommerfeld, Meg // Education Week;5/31/95, Vol. 14 Issue 36, p24
Reports that the US House of Economic and Educational Opportunities Committee decided to give states and governors more authority over federal vocational-education and job-training dollars. Approval of a workforce-development bill to replace several separate programs with block grants; Comments...
- Proposed amendments delay vote on voc.-ed. bill. Sommerfeld, Meg // Education Week;6/21/95, Vol. 14 Issue 39, p16
Reports on the delay in the US Senate's vote on a vocational-education-related legislation. Proposed amendments to the bill as the main reason for the delay; Senator Edward M. Kennedy's comments about the committee which worked on the bill's final version.
- Voc.-Ed. Law expected to get close scrutiny. Sommerfield, Meg // Education Week;12/7/94, Vol. 14 Issue 14, p18
Reports on the intention of the Republicans in Congress to closely scrutinize the Carl D. Perkins Vocational and Applied Technology Education Law. Possibility that the law would be merged with the broader workforce-development bill; Preference by the Council of Chief State School Officers for...
- In Washington. // Vocational Education Journal;Feb94, Vol. 69 Issue 2, p13
Reports on developments on legislation on vocational education in the United States. Includes Senator Kassebaum's urging of reorganizing federally funded education and training programs; Guidelines for School-to-Work Opportunities Act; American Vocational Association's position in the 1995...
- House backs overhaul of voc.-ed. programs. West, Peter // Education Week;9/27/95, Vol. 15 Issue 4, p18
Reports on the House's passage of the Consolidated an Reformed Education, Employment, and Rehabilitation Systems Act. Implications for vocational training programs; Prospects of the bill in the Senate; Appropriations of the bill for youth programs.